Emergency - Purple Tang with strange white spot and HLLE

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i received my purple tang from LFS along with yellow that ended up having ich and transferred to Purple. Because i noticed ich on yellow tang day 2, I quickly ramped up Copper Power at 2.0ppm for 16 days and that seems to be solved. I typically ramp up Cu levels or 5-6 days but this was a life or death situation as i though *** could of been marine velvet.

Note: Both fish were in my 20 gallon long quarantine tank.

Unfortunately yellow died 2 weeks ago and now Purple has developed what looks to be HLLE and this weird ~1/8" diameter white spot near dorsal fin. I don't know if this is HLLE, if this is a bacteria infection or not. I've heard the Copper treatment can lead to HLLE.

I've removed all traces of Copper by utilizing Cuprisorb and ROX 0.8 carbon as of yesterday. I use RO/DI water only and 20-50% WC ever week.

I did a FW did for 3-4 minutes on my purple tang to see if any flukes came out and maybe there was 1 or 2 but it wasn't much.

Please help as I have Furan-2 and Kaniplex on hand as well as Prazipro.

Diet: He eats TDO Reef Nutrition small chromaboost pellets, he used to eat PE mysis but not anymore, and he won't touch Nori anymore (Just pulls it off and plays but doesn't eat).

Note: He was eating pellets like a pig and i would consider him a fat and happy purple tang but he won't eat lately.

Purple Tang (left side).jpg Purple Tang (right side).jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi sorry this got overlooked,i can only add ,poss loose elec in qt tank,lets get some expert eyes on #reefsqaud

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you have carbon, pull it for now and focus on diet.
Feed at minimum adding garlic extract and selcon vitamins to its food:
Spirulina brine shrimp
Nori seaweed basted with garlic
LRS herbivore diet
Mysis shrimp
Small plankton
Formula 2 flake and frozen

You should see an improvement

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i received my purple tang from LFS along with yellow that ended up having ich and transferred to Purple. Because i noticed ich on yellow tang day 2, I quickly ramped up Copper Power at 2.0ppm for 16 days and that seems to be solved. I typically ramp up Cu levels or 5-6 days but this was a life or death situation as i though *** could of been marine velvet.

Unfortunately yellow died 2 weeks ago and now Purple has developed what looks to be HLLE and this weird ~1/8" diameter white spot near dorsal fin. I don't know if this is HLLE, if this is a bacteria infection or not. I've heard the Copper treatment can lead to HLLE.

I've removed all traces of Copper by utilizing Cuprisorb and ROX 0.8 carbon as of yesterday. I use RO/DI water only and 20-50% WC ever week.

I did a FW did for 3-4 minutes on my purple tang to see if any flukes came out and maybe there was 1 or 2 but it wasn't much.

Diet: He eats TDO Reef Nutrition small chromaboost pellets, he used to eat PE mysis but not anymore, and he won't touch Nori anymore (Just pulls it off and plays but doesn't eat).

Note: He was eating pellets like a pig and i would consider him a fat and happy purple tang but he won't eat lately.

So I did a stray voltage test and the only thing that seems out of whack is a 2v reading with my heater. I did this test with a multimeter and red price in tank and black in grounding hole of outlet. Then I just started process of elimination.
Is 2v substantial to cause this.
Note already bought a grounding rod.

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have carbon, pull it for now and focus on diet.
Feed at minimum adding garlic extract and selcon vitamins to its food:
Spirulina brine shrimp
Nori seaweed basted with garlic
LRS herbivore diet
Mysis shrimp
Small plankton
Formula 2 flake and frozen

You should see an improvement
I have just tried nori with selfie last night and soaked 5 minutes. Put it in water and it all ran off and dirtied tank.

he will not eat mysis shrimp lately. But I will order the garlic extreme as well as a few of the others.

is this just HLLE? What is the weird spot on back?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have just tried nori with selfie last night and soaked 5 minutes. Put it in water and it all ran off and dirtied tank.

he will not eat mysis shrimp lately. But I will order the garlic extreme as well as a few of the others.

is this just HLLE? What is the weird spot on back?
Spot appears to be a cyst and with Good water quality should diminish. If it gets worse, kanacyn or focus should help as well as melafix.

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spot appears to be a cyst and with Good water quality should diminish. If it gets worse, kanacyn or focus should help as well as melafix.
Appreciate that, I have some Furan-2 and Kanaplax that should suffice but i heard that it suppresses appetite. Seems like the path i should be on is focusing on getting him to eat again and then follow up.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appreciate that, I have some Furan-2 and Kanaplax that should suffice but i heard that it suppresses appetite. Seems like the path i should be on is focusing on getting him to eat again and then follow up.
You got it - correct

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update on water parameters:
Temp = 78.4 Deg F
SG = 1.025
Ammonia = 0.0 ppm
Nitrates = 12 ppm
Copper = 0.03ppm (this is news to me since it read 0.00ppm through Hanna Test

He still will not eat my pellets, thinking i should do a 50% WC to knock down the nitrates and maybe the parameters will improve. Going to remove carbon as advised earlier.

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, last night i gave him a combo of Furan-2 and Kanaplex. The white spot got a bit bigger so i don't know if that was stress related or there really is some type of bacteria infection going on.

He still will not eat so I was going to try some scallops because i've run out of options at this point.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's odd that it isn't feeding - looks fat and sassy otherwise. The white spot on its side isn't HLLE, and I wonder if the one above its left eye isn't either (even though the location of that one is suspect). Copper doesn't cause HLLE, but rather, many people use carbon after a copper treatment, and that DOES cause HLLE in many instances. The Furan-2 and Kanaplex are going to take some time to work - 5 to 7 days in some cases. I would stay the course with those, I wish I had some better ideas as to what you can do to get the fish feeding again....

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Water change- Yes. Nitrates are up there.

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i did a 50% water change yesterday before i started the Furan-2 and Kanaplex as well as removed the carbon.

I'm going to try and use some Selcon and soak some PE mysis to get him to eat.

After i'm finished with the antibiotics does anyone recommend i do Prazipro after just to say i've done everything?

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's odd that it isn't feeding - looks fat and sassy otherwise. The white spot on its side isn't HLLE, and I wonder if the one above its left eye isn't either (even though the location of that one is suspect). Copper doesn't cause HLLE, but rather, many people use carbon after a copper treatment, and that DOES cause HLLE in many instances. The Furan-2 and Kanaplex are going to take some time to work - 5 to 7 days in some cases. I would stay the course with those, I wish I had some better ideas as to what you can do to get the fish feeding again....

Jay
He is definitely sassy and he bullied the yellow at first, ended up dying :(. I have named him Thanos for this reason.

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. I will finish with my FURAN-2 and Kanaplex treatment this evening and I have noticed that the white spot that was near dorsal fin as REDUCED in size maybe by 50%. So it seems that this is having a positive effect.

He still hasn't eaten since 4 August 2020 which has me concerned. After antibiotics are complete should i 50% WC, run carbon and try and get him to eat?

I've tried scallops and he doesn't even touch it either. Should i just avoid Prazipro until he is eating?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just don't get why after 20 years people still don't know how to correct this. The weird voodoo that people came up with so long ago, shouldn't still be floating around. No stray voltage is not the problem. No carbon will not fix this.

The only thing that corrects this is feeding a vegetable only diet.
No meat none. No mysis, no krill ... none nada. Will the readily eat meaty food, you better believe it. Should you feed it to them ... no definitely not.

These fish are herbivores and they spend all day in the ocean eating algae. The tough part is dealing with their desire to gobble up whatever meat type food you put in your tank for other fish.

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't get why after 20 years people still don't know how to correct this. The weird voodoo that people came up with so long ago, shouldn't still be floating around. No stray voltage is not the problem. No carbon will not fix this.

No meat none. No mysis, no krill ... none nada. Will the readily eat meaty food, you better believe it. Should you feed it to them ... no definitely not.

These fish are herbivores and they spend all day in the ocean eating algae. The tough part is dealing with their desire to gobble up whatever meat type food you put in your tank for other fish.

Well i feed him Nori every single day but he just hasn't eaten it until yesterday. He decided to nibble at a few pieces which was promising. The only reason i tried the PE mysis or scallop was advice from LFS because he wasn't eating.

I'm still struggling stillto get him to eat but i'm in the process of removing the Furan-2 and Kanaplex with 25% WC last night and running carbon.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually, most tangs are omnivores. Most juvenile tangs eat more meaty food early in their lives and then transition to a more vegetarian diet as they get older.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back