Emergency WC having to manually move 5g buckets.... can you handle it?

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@zoa what glad it worked out. Will you be working on removing as much of that tap water as you can with an additional water change? Don't worry about the people who can't handle your humor... love your contributions.

my_tombstone.jpg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 52. I work at a demanding fish culture job, but full 5 or 7 gallon buckets are a beast.

This is one of the reasons I have a small 29 gallon tank, quick to fix if I have to do some lifting. My water mixing is in the basement down a narrow stairway made to fit in an old house. I dislike carrying one bucket of SW up the stairs....it would be really easy to plumb a tee into my existing top off line which is in the basement...maybe this winter.

My ulna nerve hurts on good days. I'm trying to do all the "heavy lifting" around my house before I retire or am no longer able to do so. I'll probably have to hire some kid to shovel snow in the winter or wait for it to melt.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are a treasure here.... I get a kick out of your candor at times...but yes I had a brief chuckle, and you are fine, so all good.
I'll be honest, sometimes I check your profile just to see the kind of **** you're starting. I wouldn't wish any sort of catastrophe on you, though. Or enjoy any failure on your part. Glad you pulled through. I didn't expect you were an old fart, though.
Thanks guys. But don't promote my bad bad behavior. Believe it or not I only say about 20% of what I Reeeeeeally want to say :rolleyes:

So how’s your parameters after filling with tap water?
Couldn't care less at this point tbh.... after my ENTIRE water volume was at 6.5ph, it was a matter of doing a 90% total WC quickly. Tap is all I had at that volume.

I'll weekly (or should I say WEAKLY) change over to RODI thru WCs, followed by testing

I had to message him a few weeks ago because I couldn’t tell his age from his posts. I thought he was 25!
No 57 going on 12. My sarcasm on R2R has forced the Rev to give me TWO separate 30day suspensions.

My wife one time asked why I hadn't been on my "fish forum" fir some time. I told her I was in R2R JAIL.

Some ppl can't handle the cold truth. So they report me. Lol

I just view it like spending 2mins in the Penalty Box during a hockey game for checking them hard into the boards.

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. But don't promote my bad bad behavior. Believe it or not I only say about 20% of what I Reeeeeeally want to say :rolleyes:

Couldn't care less at this point tbh.... after my ENTIRE water volume was at 6.5ph, it was a matter of doing a 90% total WC quickly. Tap is all I had at that volume.

I'll weekly (or should I say WEAKLY) change over to RODI thru WCs, followed by testing

No 57 going on 12. My sarcasm on R2R has forced the Rev to give me TWO separate 30day suspension.

My wife one time asked why I hadn't been on my "fish forum" fir some time. I told her I was in R2R JAIL.

Some ppl can't handle the cold truth. So they report me. Lol

I just view it like spending 2mins in the Penalty Box during a hockey game for checking them.hsrd into the board.
Poor Zoa! Who would dare suspend him???? :mad:

Beth Villmow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 57. Decent health but not in the best of shape.

I was extremely physically tested yesterday after an emergency with my 220ish total water volume system forced me into having to do a LARGE emergency WC. A bunch of vinegar got into my water volume by accident dropping pH to 6.5

Since sump in basement full of 6.5 pH water too, in a panic Had to do an emergency shutoff of all pumps. Quickly drain 180g tank down to 2ins.

I had NO AMT of any water that large in the basement to replace the DT quickly thru my sump main pump back upstairs

Thought about a long garden hose run to basement .... but have read there's all kinds of TOXIC things in "hose water" bc the inside of a hose is N A S T Y

In a panic, used tap water from garage faucet, prime dechlorinator.... and rushing 30+ 5g buckets back n forth from garage to DT

Physically carrying 5g buckets full of SW from garage to DT.... About 50 steps.... lifting the bucket high enough to dump into DT.

5g bucket of saltwater = roughly 45lbs. with a handle that wants to cut thru your fingers... Yikes!!!

At 57 yrs old, had to take many 5min breaks (sucking wind) bc the lifting and carrying was busting my (lower round things) B A D.

Any 50+ older ppl out there finding it physically hard to do a completely manual emergency WC?

I'm 57 and one-handed, I have an awful time with the 5 gallon buckets. I do water changes but not as often as I should!

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regularly carry 2 25l (~7gal) containers full of rodi from my bathroom to my tank. Mostly because I rent and prefer to only have active running rodi lines inside the shower where no accidents can happen. It's not fun, but I'd rather do this than deal with forgetting running water on wooden floors.

I did make sure to get the more expensive 10l (~2.5gal) buckets that I use for waterchanges though, which are built sturdily and have wide ergonomic handles that don't cut into my hands. And use top off pumps to pump water from those buckets into the tank.

Considering the general costs of this hobby, sturdy ergonomic buckets and reservoirs, and pumps to pump water up are nothing. That amounts to getting one or two less frags in order to not have your hands hurt or maybe slip while trying to pour a bucket and break stuff

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a garden hose with heavy duty plastic ends (no metal) that I bought on Amazon awhile back for cheap. Screws right into a pump or even the end of a python.

Just a thought if you want one to have around. I guess you would have to look around to find one like it.

I use it for my reef only. Not sure there can be anything toxic in it. Seems no different then using any other hose for a reef. I just wanted one with no metal so I could use it to move saltwater too.

0DE02475-EDCD-4067-8F22-0A70FB7F9DA7.jpeg

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad I’m not the only one organizing “bucket brigades”, and it’s somewhat a consolation that everyone finds lugging 5-gallon buckets around to be a major PITA.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 46 with spiral stairs and don’t like doing my biweekly 30g water changes LOL! 30 out & 30 in…. 5 gallons at a time up & down my twisty stairs
You need some kind of pump to pump it up the stairs for you. Make the water on the bottom then use the pump to pump water up. For that matter use 2 dosing pumps one to pump water down stairs out the window or whatever lol

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We moved 5 years ago and the #1 reason I wanted this house was a 450 sq foot heated and cooled "shop" next to the man cave. I haven't lifted a 5 gallon bucket to change water or fill my ATO's since! :D

Mixing station2.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back