Emily’s Waterbox Cube 20 OG

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I’m going to be using this thread to document my journey of my new Waterbox Cube 20! We have dubbed it the Cube 20 OG here at home, as it is one of the original models. I got sent home from work with this bad boy last week, & I’m finally getting it up & running.

I have an old pump & heater that are doing the job for now, and some filter sponges that I procured from a friend today. I have added the live sand, live rock and saltwater procured from the LFS (I promised myself an RO/DI unit as a housewarming gift once we get out of an apartment). I will be adding some dry rock once I get some of the equipment ordered & set up.

The Equipment Plan:
SICCE Syncra Silent 1.0 Return Pump
TUNZE Comline DOC 9001 Protein Skimmer

The Lighting Plan:
AquaIllumination HD Prime LEDs with Flex Arm

The Filtration Plan:
2.75” Felt Filter Sock
Bioballs (undecided)
Filter Sponges
Activated Carbon
Chaeto

The Etc. Plan:
Media Basket
Replace Return Nozzle
Replace Filter Sock Holder

I’ll be updating with pictures once the water settles down— it’s super cloudy right now because apparently I’m a heathen that doesn’t rinse their sand. ;P

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Emily

Wow sounds amazing, and do you know what kind of corals you will have in it? We certainly would love to see pics of your new setup. I’m super jealous of you in a few aspects, lol you live so close to NASA in Titusville or aka cape Canaveral, Disney world, and you found your dream job. (I have my dream job buttttt) wow congrats and can’t wait to see all that you can do with this :). Bob is definitely your uncle :).

Sincerely
Sarah

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Emily

Wow sounds amazing, and do you know what kind of corals you will have in it? We certainly would love to see pics of your new setup. I’m super jealous of you in a few aspects, lol you live so close to NASA in Titusville or aka cape Canaveral, Disney world, and you found your dream job. (I have my dream job buttttt) wow congrats and can’t wait to see all that you can do with this :). Bob is definitely your uncle :).

Sincerely
Sarah

+ 1 on the pictures please :)

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Emily

Sincerely
Sarah

This will be the first time in forever that I’ve done corals, but I know I definitely want to grab some zoanthids and acans! That being said, I’ll probably start with some Pulsing Xenia since they’re so hardy & spread nicely. I just want to make sure the water levels are perfect before adding anything. My daughter is so, so very excited for this. She is 3 1/2 years old, and has always had a fascination with fish. I’m making sure to let her help me with minor things— she’s just so happy to help. I can’t wait until I can take her down to Living Reef Orlando so that she can pick out our Clownfish!

I absolutely love central Florida. We have annual passes to Disney, and we make it out to Fort DeSoto beach every so often, but most of my free time is spent snuggling babies & napping. :)

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be the first time in forever that I’ve done corals, but I know I definitely want to grab some zoanthids and acans! That being said, I’ll probably start with some Pulsing Xenia since they’re so hardy & spread nicely. I just want to make sure the water levels are perfect before adding anything. My daughter is so, so very excited for this. She is 3 1/2 years old, and has always had a fascination with fish. I’m making sure to let her help me with minor things— she’s just so happy to help. I can’t wait until I can take her down to Living Reef Orlando so that she can pick out our Clownfish!

I absolutely love central Florida. We have annual passes to Disney, and we make it out to Fort DeSoto beach every so often, but most of my free time is spent snuggling babies & napping. :)

Hello,

Sounds like a great plan and be careful with pulsating Xenia super pretty but will spread like a weed and take over your tank. I havnt had a chance to visit reef shops in Florida. I don’t get the luxury in Idaho lol. We have lfs but nothing like in Florida or California etc.

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh, the LFS here are incredible. Top Shelf and Living Reef Orlando are amazing; I’m going to WWC next weekend with any luck. I feel so fortunate to have access to such great resources here.

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck it sounds awesome. I drove down and checked out WWC last month. Really impressed.

The new location is going to be even closer for me! I’m so excited to go. It’s going to be frag city up in here.

Ligeia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulsing Xenias are the best! Good luck on your new build :)!

FL is awesome for fish AND you have the Caribbean right there as well. I went to the Everglades last month on my way to Puerto Rico to visit family and was blown away by the biodiversity!

Have you ever heard of KP aquatics? They are based in the Keys and sell native Caribbean fish for really nice rates.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love any build thread with snuggling and napping. Sounds like a good plan for the 20.

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulsing Xenias are the best! Good luck on your new build :)!

FL is awesome for fish AND you have the Caribbean right there as well. I went to the Everglades last month on my way to Puerto Rico to visit family and was blown away by the biodiversity!

Have you ever heard of KP aquatics? They are based in the Keys and sell native Caribbean fish for really nice rates.

I hadn’t heard of them before, but I may have to make a little trip once I fully convince my husband that we need a larger setup— hopefully later this year!

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update for what is next:

I’m working from home until the end of the month— I’m hoping to get in the office at least a few more times before August 1st. Whenever I do make it in, I’ll be able to pick up:
Filter sock
Filter sock holder
Filter sponges
Bio Balls (Undecided)
Return nozzle

On Friday, I hope to be able to put some money back towards the lighting & skimmer fund. I’m not really sure which one to get first, since they’re both relatively important pieces of equipment. Since my current return pump is working okay for now, I’m putting the SICCE Syncra Silent 1.0 on the back burner for the time being.

I’m tempted to make an Amazon Wish List so that when my family asks me what I want for my birthday, I’ll actually have something ready to present... hmmm...

Last edited:
OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE TIME!

Today I finally was able to make it back in to the office & was able to grab some of what I needed for the setup:
Filter sock
Filter sock holder
Filter sponges
Bio Balls
Return nozzle

I got everything installed except for the new return nozzle— I’m going to wait until I get the new return pump and tubing, since all of that needs replaced anyway.

I’m hoping to get my hands on the new return pump and tubing around the 1st of August, and hopefully by then I will have saved enough to get either my lighting or my skimmer... but probably my lighting. I made my wish list, so once August rolls around & family members start asking me what I want, I actually have something to produce (for once).

My daughter, Lillian (3) is so very happy every time she sees me working on the aquarium. She keeps asking to help & is constantly asking questions— she’s such a curious little girl who genuinely loves animals. Really crossing my fingers that this will be the first of many hobbies that I wish to share with her.

Happy fishkeeping, friends!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back