Emperor Angel—What’s on the menu

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Humphrey, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Humphrey

Humphrey Active Member

Got a large changling Emperor. It’s eating mysis, brine, Larry’s, and nori, and it’s in QT. Had one before that didn’t touch anything, but I think I was lucky.

Planning on a reef home 180. No acans or zoanthids. I understand is hit or miss, but thoughts as to high to low probability of it eating:

Large lobo
    Colony of small blastos
    Trumpets
    Frogspawn, octospawn, hammers
    Large toadstool
    Bubble Tip Anemone

I understand I’ll have nipping at some sps, but any bigger than average risks?

I could move around some stuff but it’d be tough to move it all.

2. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

I've seen emperors with sps, it's the lobe, blastos, and trumpet I would be concerned about.

Humphrey and sfin52 like this.
  3. kalare

kalare Active Member Partner Member 2018

The large fleshy stuff is more likely to be eaten, lobo, trumpet and blasto....you could get lucky though.

SPS nipping, if you have larger colonies shouldn't be an issue...but you could have a mean one and rips up SPS...or you might get lucky and it won't touch them at all.

I highly doubt the fish will touch the leather or anemone whether you have a coral nipper or not. Euphyllia corals are generally safe...but you never know.

Humphrey likes this.
  4. Humphrey

Humphrey Active Member

Ok guys, I’ll move the blasts and trumpets, and I’ll probably sell the lobo. It’s about softball size.

5. Humphrey

Humphrey Active Member

Also should have asked... anyone with thoughts on an elegance coral with regard to angelfish appetites.

6. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

Good chance it will be eaten.

Humphrey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted