OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I counted at least 4 moray eels. How the heck to you keep them from eating all the fish? That black and white patterned one is massive!
Hey mate,
You counted correctly, the 3 white eyes are crustacean eaters so dont bother the fish at all, the Big Black and Yellow Tessalata on the other hand is an out and out predator fish eater, we are feeding him large feeds every 3 days to counter this right now, and will wait and see, the fish have been in for about 2 months now without any issues, awesome watching the cleaner wrasse on the big boy

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank and what other fish are in there?
The tessalata is a beauty, how big are the 4 eels?
the tank is 8.5x2.8x2.5, there are 2 Long nose Butterflies, cleaner wrasse, some blue tangs, emperor angel, blue ringed angel, copperband, we had a pair of maroon clowns but pulled them out as they were breeding all the time,
The Tess is about 4.5ft long (Beast) the white eyes are mature at just over 2ft each.
We have just ordered another 9x3x3 for our loungeroom, it will be a more fish dominated tank, our red sea reefer xxl is toooooooooooooooooooo small

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is 8.5x2.8x2.5, there are 2 Long nose Butterflies, cleaner wrasse, some blue tangs, emperor angel, blue ringed angel, copperband, we had a pair of maroon clowns but pulled them out as they were breeding all the time,
The Tess is about 4.5ft long (Beast) the white eyes are mature at just over 2ft each.
We have just ordered another 9x3x3 for our loungeroom, it will be a more fish dominated tank, our red sea reefer xxl is toooooooooooooooooooo small
Now that sounds like the best FOWLR dream tank I’ve seen. Definitely in the top 5, that tess sounds like it could be the number 1 reason to not have a hand in the tank haha.

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that sounds like the best FOWLR dream tank I’ve seen. Definitely in the top 5, that tess sounds like it could be the number 1 reason to not have a hand in the tank haha.
will be a killer tank, the Tess is awesome to feed, we hand feed him, but just have to watch your fingers, he doesnt mind a pat everynow and then, just have to be on the ball

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That copperband looks a little thin. Maybe I'm wrong, and it was just the angle but looked a little convex there above his eyes. Was it eating already?

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That copperband looks a little thin. Maybe I'm wrong, and it was just the angle but looked a little convex there above his eyes. Was it eating already?
Now that you mention it, it does look rather thin.
Here’s my 2 year old guy from the side and front as an example. Definitely looks to be rather thin in the video but as you said it could be the angle.
816A5013-5D87-4C70-9ECF-1B008ADD8FC3.jpeg
7B1B5CB8-746F-490F-BAE1-85EF6CDF44E5.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperband has just come out of quarantine, he is starting to eat nicely, prawn mix and pellets :)
These fish are sourced off a good friend who runs a Quarantine business, so its fattening up time
That’s great to hear, Hopefully he fattens up nicely (There’s a way to sex them if I remember correctly however it’s hard as it’s something to do with a lump on their mouth if you’re ever interested).

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great to hear, Hopefully he fattens up nicely (There’s a way to sex them if I remember correctly however it’s hard as it’s something to do with a lump on their mouth if you’re ever interested).
Just gave the guys their first feed since we got them yesterday, Copperband lead from the front, his favorite Crushed Prawns\Pellet and supplements
Always interested in sexing fish, interesting

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gave the guys their first feed since we got them yesterday, Copperband lead from the front, his favorite Crushed Prawns\Pellet and supplements
Always interested in sexing fish, interesting

That’s great to see!
Also I made a thread about sexing CBBs to see if anyone knew about it in further detail

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bit more video spam, another copperband feed, so all going well and just abit of a general video covering the eels and fish

Is that a pair of F. longirostris and were they aggressive to the newer CBB?

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a pair of F. longirostris and were they aggressive to the newer CBB?
Hey mate, it is indeed, and not a sign of aggression at all, if anything they have been great with the copperband, as in when they eat the copperband came over to investigate, you can often see them foraging through the rocks and crevices together
:)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, it is indeed, and not a sign of aggression at all, if anything they have been great with the copperband, as in when they eat the copperband came over to investigate, you can often see them foraging through the rocks and crevices together
:)
That’s interesting to hear no aggression. I wonder if something to do with the tank size and rock scape lowered aggression

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting to hear no aggression. I wonder if something to do with the tank size and rock scape lowered aggression
I think it does, this tank "Breaks" a few rules when you think about it, but I think your spot on with the size and scape reference we have said that also, there is just so many hidey holes nooks and crannies its not funny, and everyone seems to have their own little piece of real estate, so we just keep on keeping on and enjoying the beast

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it does, this tank "Breaks" a few rules when you think about it, but I think your spot on with the size and scape reference we have said that also, there is just so many hidey holes nooks and crannies its not funny, and everyone seems to have their own little piece of real estate, so we just keep on keeping on and enjoying the beast
Oh man, my tank breaks almost every rule of the wrasses. And actually just general compatibility as some of the fish I own shouldn’t do so well together in a 4’ tank.

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, my tank breaks almost every rule of the wrasses. And actually just general compatibility as some of the fish I own shouldn’t do so well together in a 4’ tank.
people are so hung up these days in what should and shouldnt happen, I like to do what feels and looks good to us, with some obvious boundaries, we like our wrasses also

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back