Emperor Angel with velvet

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it mixed and running for 3 days in the 36gal and I used rodi water and mixed the 10 gal tank up 2 hours prior to adding fish
Glad to hear that, turns out some people still use tap water with prime for their reef tank. Long story short, cupramine and prime mixed together will kill all of your fishes

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a little bit of stress coat when switching then over.. idk if that was bad.. I figured it would help him calm down a little only used like 1/4 of what it called for

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I just wait till the morning to add more copper? I heard angels arnt to good with copper idk tho just wondering
I am the one who told you about angels, well I've lost 2 coral beauties and 1 flame angel when all of my other fishes were doing well but I have also heard some people had no problem using cupramine with flame angels.
You shouldn't wait until tomorrow to raise copper to 0.5 you are dealing with marine velvet. I am assuming you don't have a test kit yet, just make sure you go 40 drops per 10gallon of water then test it as soon as you get the tester

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you. So just take out a gallon pitcher put the drops in for the tank then mix it and dump in tank or do I need to take out maybe a 5 gall bucket then add the drops?

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a little bit of stress coat when switching then over.. idk if that was bad.. I figured it would help him calm down a little only used like 1/4 of what it called for
I am not sure what stress coat you used but I would just replace the water on your QT tank now. Also, you don't need to make new water, use the water from your DT

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you. So just take out a gallon pitcher put the drops in for the tank then mix it and dump in tank or do I need to take out maybe a 5 gall bucket then add the drops?
Are you asking me in regards to raising copper level in your tank now or when you do a water change?

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You told me to raise copper now right? That's what I was gonna do

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The problem is you added Stress Coat, which is an ammonia reducer, and mixing that with copper has been known to turn copper toxic.

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so tell me if I'm right or wrong but I should I keep the copper levels low since I have stress coat and cupramine in my tank? 24 hours the stress coat will be gone then I can add more cupramine right? Should I put carbon to take out the cupramine? I didn't know them both together were toxix

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't matter, you should replace that water immediately, just pick up 2 5 gallon bucket and get water from your DT, drop 20 drops on each bucket and then replace all the water in your 10 gallon QT

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not only remove copper but combine with cuprimane it becomes toxic.

That's what I'm thinking: If it breaks down copper bonding, like ammonia detoxifiers do, it will release excessive free copper i.e. making copper reach toxic levels.

To the OP: How many of the QTs did you use Stress Coat in?

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little bit in both tanks. I am taking 10 gal out of the 36 gal today and 5 in the 10 gal all I have water for riggt now. My disply had stress coat in it too when I was trying to catch them..so had to make new water

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So making water now and putting 20 drops per 5 gal bucket. Should I add more to bring it to .5?

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember I'm only at .25 right now if I just do 20 per 5 gal will that be enough?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back