Emperor color faded

JeremyKnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what’s up with this fish? Started loosing color a few weeks ago, I thought it was going through its color change. But the last few days it has been just laying down by the cleaner shrimp. I took it out of the display into a one gallon hospital tank for a quick 5 minute paraguard dip. I’m currently setting up a 20 gallon for a more permanent hospital place for it. This fish was great two weeks ago... did a skin scrape to look for parasites and I didn’t see anything.
4FBBE5EF-3286-4789-9D29-B660656F40F9.png
3AD669CD-FF52-401A-9ECE-B62B0B29CD39.jpeg
2EC005D2-C423-495D-B872-8D86908E3AD1.jpeg
1190BCE2-79CA-4A17-9AEC-48626699E09C.jpeg

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing fast?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The fish is no doubt distressed. I suspect either high ammonia or start of infection such as flukes. I hate to suggest as it can be risky but giving the fish a 4-5 minute freshwater dip may be of help to eliminate chance of flukes although fish may be breathing rapid with flukes which you stated is not the case.
Bath in parasite guard will not help unless there are noted parasites (dots, salt grains or powdery appearance). Ruby Rally Pro will be a better choice for a bath (although it is reef safe) for 90 minutes.
If youre using API test kit, you may be getting a false ammonia reading , hence a suggestion for doing a slight (10-15% water change)

OP
OP
JeremyKnight

JeremyKnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is no doubt distressed. I suspect either high ammonia or start of infection such as flukes. I hate to suggest as it can be risky but giving the fish a 4-5 minute freshwater dip may be of help to eliminate chance of flukes although fish may be breathing rapid with flukes which you stated is not the case.
Bath in parasite guard will not help unless there are noted parasites (dots, salt grains or powdery appearance). Ruby Rally Pro will be a better choice for a bath (although it is reef safe) for 90 minutes.
If youre using API test kit, you may be getting a false ammonia reading , hence a suggestion for doing a slight (10-15% water change)
I was able to post a link to a video of the fish if that helps. I also have not used ruby rally pro, what does it target? I did notice some white spots by the tail, that’s why I did a scrape to look for ick or flukes and I didn’t see anything on the microscope.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was able to post a link to a video of the fish if that helps. I also have not used ruby rally pro, what does it target? I did notice some white spots by the tail, that’s why I did a scrape to look for ick or flukes and I didn’t see anything on the microscope.
Not seeing video

Rally pro is a very effective broad spectrum treatment designed to be used directly in the display tank to eliminate external parasites, dinoflagellates, marine velvet, clownfish disease, gill flukes, etc. on fish. RALLY also treats gram negative bacterial infections, fin and tail rot, etc., and prevents secondary infections. RALLY is safe for all fish (including scaleless), corals and invertebrates and will not affect biofiltration.
Apply RALLY once per day for at least 3 days. Longer treatment periods may be required for heavy or persistent infections

OP
OP
JeremyKnight

JeremyKnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not seeing video

Rally pro is a very effective broad spectrum treatment designed to be used directly in the display tank to eliminate external parasites, dinoflagellates, marine velvet, clownfish disease, gill flukes, etc. on fish. RALLY also treats gram negative bacterial infections, fin and tail rot, etc., and prevents secondary infections. RALLY is safe for all fish (including scaleless), corals and invertebrates and will not affect biofiltration.
Apply RALLY once per day for at least 3 days. Longer treatment periods may be required for heavy or persistent infections
Man I’m surprised Iv not heard of that before. I was just reading about it. Is it one of those turn off uv, ozone, pull carbon kinda treatments?

OP
OP
JeremyKnight

JeremyKnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not seeing video

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Man I’m surprised Iv not heard of that before. I was just reading about it. Is it one of those turn off uv, ozone, pull carbon kinda treatments?
I pull nothing . It’s non copper

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. I have a video but I cannot figure out how to get it to post.
That does look like Neobenedenia flukes. Your skin scrape may have missed them, a diagnostic 5 minute FW dip is a better way to find them. These flukes will just laugh at a Paraguard dip.
If it isn't Neo, then a disseminated bacterial infection perhaps (but unlikely).

Neo is REALLY common in Pomacanthus angelfish. It is an egg layer, so praziquantel doesn't break the life cycle. 6 weeks at half salinity will work in most cases.

Jay

OP
OP
JeremyKnight

JeremyKnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like Neobenedenia flukes. Your skin scrape may have missed them, a diagnostic 5 minute FW dip is a better way to find them. These flukes will just laugh at a Paraguard dip.
If it isn't Neo, then a disseminated bacterial infection perhaps (but unlikely).

Neo is REALLY common in Pomacanthus angelfish. It is an egg layer, so praziquantel doesn't break the life cycle. 6 weeks at half salinity will work in most cases.

Jay
Will taking the whole system to hypo be ok for the snails shrimp and crabs?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will taking the whole system to hypo be ok for the snails shrimp and crabs?
Oh no, fish only. You would need to leave your invertebrates at normal salinity, with no fish in with them, for at least 45 days (and I’d go longer, just to play it safe).
Jay

OP
OP
JeremyKnight

JeremyKnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, fish only. You would need to leave your invertebrates at normal salinity, with no fish in with them, for at least 45 days (and I’d go longer, just to play it safe).
Jay
Ok that’s what I thought but wanted to verify. Thanks for the help. Have you ever used prazi?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never been able to cure Neo with prazi - even at double dose, four times, a week apart. The eggs aren’t affected and they just keep hatching out and reinfecting the fish. In addition, when you dose prazi, a bacteria soon grows that consumes it as “food”. This means each time you dose a tank, the prazi stays active for less time.
That said, you do need to confirm this is Neo....
Jay

OP
OP
JeremyKnight

JeremyKnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never been able to cure Neo with prazi - even at double dose, four times, a week apart. The eggs aren’t affected and they just keep hatching out and reinfecting the fish. In addition, when you dose prazi, a bacteria soon grows that consumes it as “food”. This means each time you dose a tank, the prazi stays active for less time.
That said, you do need to confirm this is Neo....
Jay
I spent the better part of the morning on the scope and finally came across this...
I have not seen any thing like it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be Neo - it does look like a multicelled creature. I’ve always seen Neo from FW dips and then they are dead. Could you see a sucker at either end?
Jay

OP
OP
JeremyKnight

JeremyKnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be Neo - it does look like a multicelled creature. I’ve always seen Neo from FW dips and then they are dead. Could you see a sucker at either end?
Jay
No I will dive a little deeper tonight I found this and had to get back to work. The only thing I could see is the tiny “feet” or filaments around the body.

OP
OP
JeremyKnight

JeremyKnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
No I will dive a little deeper tonight I found this and had to get back to work. The only thing I could see is the tiny “feet” or filaments around the body.
Jay
When I fresh water dipped the fish o did see a bunch of stuff in the water. The dip was in one of those little one gallon beta tanks so there was a rather large cluster of debris after. I have not been able to look at that stuff yet. Thanks your your input it’s greatly appreciated!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • None.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back