Emperors of R2R (pomacanthus imperator)

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love my emperor but he is a bully and nips on some LPS. He leaves my hammer, torches, gonis, bubble coral, SPS all alone but he will nip at Zoas on occasion which I can live with but he seems to have a taste for elegance coral. I don't understand why he leaves torches alone but immediately nips at any elegance I put in the tank.

IMG_5281.jpeg

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried pairing emperor angelfish?

I have a 2.75” juvenile and have the opportunity to add a 4” almost complete adult.

I assume the juvenile hasn’t changed sexes yet and the larger new emperor should be able to establish its dominance?

What is your experience or advice? The system is a 90 gallon, I have a larger system ready in a year.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair, yes. Had these guys for a while. Male 10 years. Added female as a Juvi while he was pretty much fully grown. Working on a trio now with another juvi.

Emperor pair.jpg
How do you sex P. imperator? Or even any pomacanthus?

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just added the smallest Emp I’ve ever seen. First time keeping an emperor. He is currently about 1” or smaller. Also interested in the idea of pairing. Looking forward to watching him grow.

(That’s the nose of a Valetini Puffer on the left side for size comparison, he’s tiny, but already has personality) BDF79529-E47D-4A6F-ABAE-C2670AC04E21.jpeg

Last edited:

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as sexing of emperors I'm basing it on observation and what I've read in various articles of the years. Male's face will become VERY blue when excited or showing off for female. Male's body more elongated as compared to the rounder body of the female. Femala's face always remains white. These two are definitely a pair.

If anyone has any other observations please share.

NEM Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried pairing emperor angelfish?

I have a 2.75” juvenile and have the opportunity to add a 4” almost complete adult.

I assume the juvenile hasn’t changed sexes yet and the larger new emperor should be able to establish its dominance?

What is your experience or advice? The system is a 90 gallon, I have a larger system ready in a year.
Just a further reply on this, I had to move my around 1.5" juvenile back into QT after is expressed some flukes. After doing that, I also decided to rescue an extremely emaciated, flukes covered 5-6" sub-adult. Both in a heavily oxygenation 29G and showing absolutely zero initial aggression. They were actually swimming together this morning.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a further reply on this, I had to move my around 1.5" juvenile back into QT after is expressed some flukes. After doing that, I also decided to rescue an extremely emaciated, flukes covered 5-6" sub-adult. Both in a heavily oxygenation 29G and showing absolutely zero initial aggression. They were actually swimming together this morning.

Keep us posted. What size tank will they eventually go in?

NEM Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted. What size tank will they eventually go in?
They will both be going into a 180.5g until they increase in size a bit more, and by then I hope to upgrade to a 240g. If there is any aggression down the line, the sub-adult would go into my fish only 125g w/55g sump until I can rehome it, as it was mainly purchased as a rescue to try to save it.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To date, General Tso ignores 3 different torches, a frogspawn, palys located right next to rbta guarded by clowns, blue hornet zoas at base of slimer, yumas, ricordeas, 2 gorgonians and wall of gsp.

The secret for me is placing zoa/palys in difficult to reach locations, have a pair of clowns to protect nems, space feedings through the day and feed a variety.
Nori clip, clams, pellets (auto feeder 2x), macro from fuge, homemade frozen food.

Forget about zoa or paly frags out in the open. A meaty trachy is simply irresistible.

CE6F42D5-169B-4DA7-9B36-E5588FBAF8EC.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.5%
Back