Emperors of R2R (pomacanthus imperator)

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody ever had any luck or experience with a majestic angel?
Are they destructive? Reef safe,?, seen some of these posts saying there emperors have been eating zoa's, do all angels have a nibble on something?

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they destructive? Reef safe,?, seen some of these posts saying there emperors have been eating zoa's, do all angels have a nibble on something?
You never really know what you are going to get. That being said, a well fed angel is definitely less likely to nibble around but don’t get one if that’s going to freak you out.

Blue Cheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a majestic and regal together that showed no aggression towards anything at all and never nipped at anything,it was my favorite two fish

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
IMG_0994.JPEG
Meet Timmy! I guess he is a named fish now - He was rehomed to me at about 4" last month. He is quite a character and quickly put the larger Sailfin in his place. He grunts quite a bit and now I've started hearing my cardinalfish pair grunting back at him.
The prior owner said he wasn't getting a proper diet with all his larger angelfish in the same tank; and that they just chased Timmy around all the time.
I have no idea how I started calling him Timmy; it just popped out when I was scolding him for cleaning out one of my zoa rocks. He like neon candy canes; hasn't touched the dull ones, smaller zoas, blastos, pipe organ, Porities, and chalice...
I may need to setup a frag tank!

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0994.JPEG
Meet Timmy! I guess he is a named fish now - He was rehomed to me at about 4" last month. He is quite a character and quickly put the larger Sailfin in his place. He grunts quite a bit and now I've started hearing my cardinalfish pair grunting back at him.
The prior owner said he wasn't getting a proper diet with all his larger angelfish in the same tank; and that they just chased Timmy around all the time.
I have no idea how I started calling him Timmy; it just popped out when I was scolding him for cleaning out one of my zoa rocks. He like neon candy canes; hasn't touched the dull ones, smaller zoas, blastos, pipe organ, Porities, and chalice...
I may need to setup a frag tank!
Timmy looks like a keeper! And a perfect excuse for another tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) Let’s start an Emperor thread!!! :p

Share a profile of your pomacanthus imperator.

Photos and your experiences:
How long have you had it? What are its favorite coral snacks? Any corals it ignores? Fun stories? Did you Qt?
Concerns? Did you name it?

I am hoping this thread will help us learn more about this awesome fish and give them the best care we can.

Here is a shot of our male Emperor, it is paired with a female in a 90,000 gallon aquarium exhibit. These were acquired as adults in 2014 from Cairns Marine in Australia.

Emperor.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show off.... :star-struck: Those pectoral fins are so colorful.

I noticed after I posted, that the focus on the face is too soft, ugh, I cannot take pictures, even when the subject is trying to help me out by being so colorful!

Jay

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I noticed after I posted, that the focus on the face is too soft, ugh, I cannot take pictures, even when the subject is trying to help me out by being so colorful!

Jay
I did get my fins wrong too. Early morning. Pelvic fins...
Looks like he was trying to pose. These fish are so amazing in person. I love salt water fish. So many with unique characteristics. But the emperors, they are something else.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is a shot of our male Emperor, it is paired with a female in a 90,000 gallon aquarium exhibit. These were acquired as adults in 2014 from Cairns Marine in Australia.

Emperor.jpg
Gorgeous fish! It pains me to know I'll need to upgrade my tank or rehome Timmy before he can get much bigger; 4' 120 definitely not enough. Wish I could go 90,000! hah... no.

I love the way the ventral fin retains the juvenile coloration while the rest of the fish goes to party.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of you able to keep gonniopora ? I have a feeling my emperor likes to munch on th

Emperor.jpg
What aquarium is this?

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the consensus on these guys with Tridacna clams? 50/50?

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with many other potential menu items in our tanks, near 100% an eventual meal. These fish love to eat.
Yep I figured……Such a tough choice. I don’t really care about the zoanthids but love my maxima. Still can’t decide though. I’m debating an Emperor or trying a pair of Navarchus in my 500 gallon reef.

Back