Emperors of R2R (pomacanthus imperator)

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been with me for over 7 years and is about 14” and starting to grow streamers. Can hear him grunt all the way on the other side of the house. Have him in a FOWLR.

EDDD83B7-AD9E-4554-A900-A1B397EA1CA9.jpeg

Whew that's a beauty. This is the goal

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have gorgonians or trachys in with emperors?
9B52252E-A7C9-4205-BDC8-B3C4FD737E21.jpeg
D58394FF-DD06-46D4-8E01-8C7280E9C022.jpeg
I did take that chance recently. Unfortunately a week in and none of the trachys opened up and Acans looked terrible. Although I watched the tank for hours a day I saw him pick at nothing. Very odd I got. So as usually I tested all my parameters. I left the room and set up a camera on the tank and sure enough the little bugger was picking at them all lol. Its like he knew I was watching him.. He was a 2" juvenile which I've since moved back into the qt holding tank and am currently trying to rehome him. Unfortunately most of my friend here have reef tanks, and the longer he stayed with me the more attached I'm getting he's quiet a character.

20200311_121501.jpg

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did take that chance recently. Unfortunately a week in and none of the trachys opened up and Acans looked terrible. Although I watched the tank for hours a day I saw him pick at nothing. Very odd I got. So as usually I tested all my parameters. I left the room and set up a camera on the tank and sure enough the little bugger was picking at them all lol. Its like he knew I was watching him.. He was a 2" juvenile which I've since moved back into the qt holding tank and am currently trying to rehome him. Unfortunately most of my friend here have reef tanks, and the longer he stayed with me the more attached I'm getting he's quiet a character.

20200311_121501.jpg
LOL! I totally understand! I had huge Acan colonies I grew for several years. I had to trade to them in to the LFS. I did get a nice Aussie gold torch out of it, and some nice SPS corals too. I chose the angel over my corals. I learned no fleshy LPS.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! I totally understand! I had huge Acan colonies I grew for several years. I had to trade to them in to the LFS. I did get a nice Aussie gold torch out of it, and some nice SPS corals too. I chose the angel over my corals. I learned no fleshy LPS.
Hey that sound like the emporor did you a favour there , Gold torch Nice ending.

U

User1

View Badges
Oh man, uronema is just a plague. I’ve had it in QT a couple of times but thankfully never in the display.

That’s very interesting about the flames. I have a pair in my 450, and recently ordered three more. Hard to tell for sure, but two of the three look like males. Assuming I get them through QT, will dump them in and see what happens.

You may already know this but @OrionN had a thread or a post that explains in detail, with pictures, how to sex them. I highly recommend asking or searching for the thread if keeping a harem of Flames.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200311_121501.jpg
Perfect excuse for another tank!
Sounds like a win win situation...reef AND Fowler.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect excuse for another tank!
Sounds like a win win situation...reef AND Fowler.
I'd love nothing more, but apartments here in Hong Kong are like 450 sq feet, with the p650 separating the living room in 2 and the 18" cube in the office room plus 2 cats another tank would probably be pushing my luck

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Emperors. I have Regals and Flames in my reef so I cannot put an Emperor in it. but I would def would not mind having an Indian Ocean Emperor in it. In the olden days, there were several experts who wrote that Emperor color change in aquarium does not have good coloration. Is there still any truth in this these day with great source of food for our fishes?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may already know this but @OrionN had a thread or a post that explains in detail, with pictures, how to sex them. I highly recommend asking or searching for the thread if keeping a harem of Flames.

Thanks, yes I am familiar with it. At least for now, my newcomers are mostly still hiding in the PVC so hard to get a good look.

Last edited:

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Emperors. I have Regals and Flames in my reef so I cannot put an Emperor in it. but I would def would not mind having an Indian Ocean Emperor in it. In the olden days, there were several experts who wrote that Emperor color change in aquarium does not have good coloration. Is there still any truth in this these day with great source of food for our fishes?
When I had my last adult Emperor I didn't notice faded coloration. I think you are right that now days we have access to great foods for our fish. I feed mine LRS and frozen Mysis, and a few sheets of seaweed a day soaked in Selecon.

U

User1

View Badges
I'd love nothing more, but apartments here in Hong Kong are like 450 sq feet, with the p650 separating the living room in 2 and the 18" cube in the office room plus 2 cats another tank would probably be pushing my luck

And here I thought I had it rough while stationed in Okinawa Japan renting a 650 sq feet apartment :)

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Emperor was a juvenile when we got him 3 years ago and is huge now. In a Fowler with 12 yr old Koran and majestic. Got the majestic at the same time as the emperor. The emperor grunts but less than the Koran.. the Koran is the boss of the tank except it leaves the Sohal alone!

Beautiful fish everyone and I like the happy thread with healthy fish! Thanks for sharing!

1E5D1B1E-C2F4-4E7B-AE78-0D1DAFC89367.jpeg 7F17E06C-7048-41B1-A374-B2979F8305B3.jpeg 4E6950AE-F739-4B9E-80B6-C4C9326DB71F.jpeg 99ABCDBD-271A-45D0-BE59-FC0F1D8B3A18.jpeg

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emperor is still a baby. The koran is just starting to transition.
IMG_2096-L.jpg
They will be beautiful and best friends! My Koran was an adult when we got the emperor and not too fond of it but they tolerate each other so long as the emperor knows the Koran is the boss of our tank! Yours are beautiful

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back