Emperors of R2R (pomacanthus imperator)

Reeferdude1888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys this is my first emperor eye grew him from a juvenile to adult then I rehoused him through my lfs to a 200g system I had him for nearly 3years and the third photo is the emperor I currently have he is nearly at colour change stage he is starting to get the signs of the mask across his eyes the only things I have always found with emp are they love nipping at lps corals but I thought the sacrifice was worth it because they sure are stunning .

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys this is my first emperor eye grew him from a juvenile to adult then I rehoused him through my lfs to a 200g system I had him for nearly 3years and the third photo is the emperor I currently have he is nearly at colour change stage he is starting to get the signs of the mask across his eyes the only things I have always found with emp are they love nipping at lps corals but I thought the sacrifice was worth it because they sure are stunning .

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Thanks for sharing Reeferdude1888. What’s on the menu for your Emp?

Reeferdude1888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The emperor is fed on nori frozen brine shrimp and sometimes a little amount of spectrum pellets and 2 days a week I just leave them to graze on the tank

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted a emp. angel. its on the top of my list for a possible new tank :0 ( just dont tell the GF I am thinking of yet another tank)

let me ask you guy/gals this. would you feel a 200 gal system 60" x 26" x 24" high would be OK long term for this fish.

reason why I ask is I will be moving here in a few months and will have an unfinished basement that I would like to finish out and add a FLOWLR or softie /gorg tank that would focus on butterflies angels and a tang or two.

up stairs I will have two peninsulas 18.5 nano and a RS 650P. but have always wanted a butterflies and large angels tank.

the 200 would be a glass rimless supper sleek and sexy. other option I was thinking was a plywood tank but not near as good looking tank. cool and BIGGER not not that rimless glass we all have come to love.

let me know your thoughts.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted a emp. angel. its on the top of my list for a possible new tank :0 ( just dont tell the GF I am thinking of yet another tank)

let me ask you guy/gals this. would you feel a 200 gal system 60" x 26" x 24" high would be OK long term for this fish.

reason why I ask is I will be moving here in a few months and will have an unfinished basement that I would like to finish out and add a FLOWLR or softie /gorg tank that would focus on butterflies angels and a tang or two.

up stairs I will have two peninsulas 18.5 nano and a RS 650P. but have always wanted a butterflies and large angels tank.

the 200 would be a glass rimless supper sleek and sexy. other option I was thinking was a plywood tank but not near as good looking tank. cool and BIGGER not not that rimless glass we all have come to love.

let me know your thoughts.

hmmm... considering your 2 peninsula tanks upstairs and having an unfinished basement for a FOWLR option, I would go bigger then a 200, especially if your basement has access to water and a drain.
:D

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm... considering your 2 peninsula tanks upstairs and having an unfinished basement for a FOWLR option, I would go bigger then a 200, especially if your basement has access to water and a drain.
:D

I was thinking the same. yes we put in a pump station in the mech. room maybe 10-20 feet from the possible locations of tank.
I was thinking of the prostar rimless tank stand and sump for 2100 clean looking tank.

I know it's a bit bit small for an emp. tho. will start a thead on possible tanks so I don't high jack this one.

so we think 200 is in the small side correct ??

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine totally ignores the rbta. Is your experience different?
BB14D417-764F-4EEF-92A8-5B9013416E1C.jpeg

No he eats just about everything else haha... trying to add some color that he wont nip and bother!

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No he eats just about everything else haha... trying to add some color that he wont nip and bother!
What about some colorful palys? I’m going to invest in some more, haha. Torch coral is another one GT ignores, and a pile of yumas are safe too.

You’ve got some gorgeous gorgonians, does the Emp sample those?
(Because of seeing your gorgs I picked up a frag from GCE and it’s awesome. General Tso is ignoring it currently.)

I’m quickly learning how much these guys can eat and the more full my Emp is on clams, nori, pellets, LRS, the safer my corals are.

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about some colorful palys? I’m going to invest in some more, haha. Torch coral is another one GT ignores, and a pile of yumas are safe too.

You’ve got some gorgeous gorgonians, does the Emp sample those?
(Because of seeing your gorgs I picked up a frag from GCE and it’s awesome. General Tso is ignoring it currently.)

I’m quickly learning how much these guys can eat and the more full my Emp is on clams, nori, pellets, LRS, the safer my corals are.

Most zoas are on the menu, although a few have been avoided so far. I dont have any palys really, but some of the larger zoas seem to be less enticing. Might give palys a try.

Haven't tried a torch, but mine did nip at a frogspawn, so I am not too confident in torch. Gorgonians are occasionally nipped, but dont seem too enticing so far. Leathers and mushrooms seem to be the most safe.

I love the fish, and decided when i got it i was going to work the corals around the emperor. Likely going to turn into a leather/mushroom dominated tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back