Emperors of R2R (pomacanthus imperator)

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9FDE68BA-4C47-4171-B401-263A3C447485.jpeg

Meet General Tso, introduced to my mixed reef 1 wk ago. It went through Qt and then 30 day observation before the dt.
He eats everything! (Pellets, nori, LRS, clams-No corals yet.)
General Tso has the unique ability to swim extremely close to fiercely guarded clownfish eggs and nems as if invisible.
He likes hanging with a larger CBB, allows the cleaner shrimp to inspect, and I love how he moves around almost like a leaf blowing.
Amazing!

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a question for those watching the maturation process. My fish looks patchy at times and almost unhealthy compared to the look of my other fish. I am assuming this is mostly due to the morph and possibly some zootoxins from the zoas he likes to munch.

I disregard the look mainly because there has been no changes in his behavior and I haven't added anything into the tank for 2 years. I've had the angel since May 2019 so no reason to think it's anything other than part of the change process.

Let me know! Thanks!
@Goubli
How’s the emp?
@ID-Reefer does your emp have a name?

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Goubli
How’s the emp?
@ID-Reefer does your emp have a name?
The spots always seem to resolve. Again, the behavior of the fish hasn't changed at all. I'm not sure if it gets stung from some corals or zoas, or if it's stress from the maroon clowns, or if it's partly the maturation process. These are some examples. He will get larger ones that are lighter white type color (pale) and then they won't be there a few hours later. They are not raised and are flush with the body.

This pic is from early July.

IMG_2375.jpg
IMG_3072.PNG

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots always seem to resolve. Again, the behavior of the fish hasn't changed at all. I'm not sure if it gets stung from some corals or zoas, or if it's stress from the maroon clowns, or if it's partly the maturation process. These are some examples. He will get larger ones that are lighter white type color (pale) and then they won't be there a few hours later. They are not raised and are flush with the body.

This pic is from early July.

IMG_2375.jpg
IMG_3072.PNG

My transitioning emp has similar experience... the patches come and go. I’m thinking happens with stress and the barking happens when annoyed. Hahaha, love the barking!

E916FCAA-B573-4CF1-A0C9-61CCA904999B.jpeg

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, cool. I figured as much. This is the first time I've had a juvenile angel mature so was curious. I'm ready for it to finish.

Maybe I should feed more? How much and often are you guys feeding? I usually just feed a cube of frozen a day. I have 7 other fish as well.

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wen,

All my tanks are in the basement and I can hear the large male "barking" when I'm in the kitchen or the family room it is so loud.

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought him as a Juvi from Pacific Island Aquatics in November of 2011 so I've had him 10 years this month. Came from Christmas Island, but never developed that orange tail.

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the third one. He's only 3.5" and has been changing for the last few months.

Attachments

• changing emperor.jpg
    changing emperor.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought him as a Juvi from Pacific Island Aquatics in November of 2011 so I've had him 10 years this month. Came from Christmas Island, but never developed that orange tail.
Wow, that’s awesome!

What is on the daily menu to keep your emps in good health?

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main foods have been Hikari mysis (large and small) Hikari and spectrum pellets, Omega one flake, Spirulina flakes, Nori. Occasional clam and squid.

NEM Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved this guy over after two weeks of CopperSafe and Prazi. About 1.5", so still extremely small. In a mixed reef tank with lots of RBTA's, some softies and LPS. Eats like a champ, and could care less about the tangs pecking it to establish dominance. Just swims along like nothing is happening. Also, please for the love of god ignore my aipstasia outbreak and accompanying cyano. I know it is extremely severe, and I have been working on it for a while now. Recently had a tank crash due to bad Purigen, hence the cyano. Aipstasia has been an issue for a while now.

Attachments

• IMG_1783.jpg
    IMG_1783.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 41

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved this guy over after two weeks of CopperSafe and Prazi. About 1.5", so still extremely small. In a mixed reef tank with lots of RBTA's, some softies and LPS. Eats like a champ, and could care less about the tangs pecking it to establish dominance. Just swims along like nothing is happening. Also, please for the love of god ignore my aipstasia outbreak and accompanying cyano. I know it is extremely severe, and I have been working on it for a while now. Recently had a tank crash due to bad Purigen, hence the cyano. Aipstasia has been an issue for a while now.
Looking good! Maybe he'll eat em...

Back