Enamel Paint / Stains (VOCs) Around Aquarium

Justin Aretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure there are some threads about this but maybe not as specific as the question I'm asking.

If (in this case, it's not) it's not an option to use no or low VOC paints around an established aquarium, what is your process for adequately protecting your aquarium from the gas exchange with these harmful chemicals? I have heard many people mention saran wrapping the system to be air tight, etc. but would like to hear first hand accounts of people who've found themselves in this situation.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hand drawing sea GIF

Open Thy Windows

Its my opinion, its more dangerous spraying and cleaning your DT glass with Windex than painting the walls around your tank.

Paint mfgrs don't want lawsuits and lawyers when involving humans, children, etc....so internal paints being used today are extremely low VOCs. extremely non toxic. Especially latex which is basically water, plastic resins and non toxic dyes. All those toxic binders are g o n e

Mfgrs know a lot of ppl clean their brushes with tap water and these paints go right down the drain into the water supply.

So.... read the VOC ratings and don't sweat it. Definitely cover the tank with a sheet of plastic... but to seal it? I'm thinking thats overkill. Again Windex is more dangerous

Only paints to be concerned with are oil-based paints. That's a whole different ballgame

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure there are some threads about this but maybe not as specific as the question I'm asking.

If (in this case, it's not) it's not an option to use no or low VOC paints around an established aquarium, what is your process for adequately protecting your aquarium from the gas exchange with these harmful chemicals? I have heard many people mention saran wrapping the system to be air tight, etc. but would like to hear first hand accounts of people who've found themselves in this situation.
When I paint around an aquarium I throw towels over it turn off skimmers and increase ventilation

OP
OP
Justin Aretz

Justin Aretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hand drawing sea GIF

Open Thy Windows

Its my opinion, its more dangerous spraying and cleaning your DT glass with Windex than painting the walls around your tank.

Paint mfgrs don't want lawsuits and lawyers when involving humans, children, etc....so internal paints being used today are extremely low VOCs. extremely non toxic. Especially latex which is basically water, plastic resins and non toxic dyes. All those toxic binders are g o n e

Mfgrs know a lot of ppl clean their brushes with tap water and these paints go right down the drain into the water supply.

So.... read the VOC ratings and don't sweat it. Definitely cover the tank with a sheet of plastic... but to seal it? I'm thinking thats overkill. Again Windex is more dangerous

Only paints to be concerned with are oil-based paints. That's a whole different ballgame
This will be an oil based enamel as I am continuing my current finishes into an extension on the house.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used oil based stains in my basement with the fish tank. I only had one fish at the time and she’s still alive and well 3 years later. I may have put a towel over the tank but I’m not even sure I did that. There was also no skimmer to pull in anything.
Edit: the specific one I used is general finishes arm-r-seal.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes , then seal off top of tank ,stop air intake ,add air stone in sump or tank,also cover sump
does not have to be shrink wrapped but covered w plastic and a towel to keep plastic down ,
plenty of ventilation in room..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back