Encrusting montipora— what is its role for in aquascape?

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious how encrusting montiporas and encrusting corals in general are used in a reef aquascape. Early on I was attracted to encrusting montiporas by their color and texture that are striking in the online store pictures. But as my reef matured they fall in the background as other corals grow over them. And some just aren’t as pretty grown up as they are in a close up shot of a frag. They end up becoming a strange interesting rock instead of a striking show piece. It seems they are mainly used to cover bare bottom tanks.

Anyone use encrusting corals in striking ways in their reefscape?

Sunset Montipora looking like an interesting rock.
1CCAC1DD-C970-45D2-9D62-2194E168917A.jpeg

Green Cyphastrea? being overgrown.
83F808C8-878E-4EEB-AB9B-EEF1C3F569C5.jpeg

Montipora undata (top) and green encrusting/plating Montipora sp. fading into the background.
45EF94C4-6010-4A90-86BB-35855AFC0426.jpeg

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting! I always hated them because thats exactly what I thought they would look like grown is just an interesting rock and we dont buy corals because they look like rocks lol

I recently picked up a l few pieces of both cyphastera and monti and encrusting favia (cheap on ebay auctions) Its good to know that corals can grow over them.

I have some tonga branches against my back wall in some cool shapes and they hold a bridge rock between the two sides. The bridge will have some sps and lps on it. I have zoas on the tongas (still on plugs) and was going to add pieces of encrusting coral and hopefully they will grow around and in between the zoas! Some of the tonga have sort of a flat toped end pieces ( hard to describe) I placed one of my torches on top of it and looked great so I am going to add more torches or gonis to those areas as well!

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be used as contrast to your branching SPS. A red and yellow acro will stand out more with a blue monti behind it type thing.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use them on a back wall like cyphaestra?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that they're supposed to be center pieces, and I agree that as they encrust they just take the shape of the substrate they're on.

I like the idea that they're simply filler. I've concluded that they need ro be isolated like zoas or else you run the risk of not being able to control where they go.

I have cyphastreas, chalaces, monti's that have become nothing more that colored rocks that are great to stuff in nooks to pull the eye.

Not to say that someone with enough forward thinking can't use them in a way that helps accent the scape in its entirety, using contrasting colors to complement acros.

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty nice to put on some thinner branching pieces of dry rock, and they are quick at making decent frags on rubble for trades.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back