End Of An Era and A Little Closure

Megaloptera

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon, My name is Adam and I have had the pleasure of building a beach classroom through grant money for our local school district at its environmental center. I was a teacher at this facility but I will be embarking on a new employment endeavor to earn a higher wage so that my wife can attend to family medical needs. It occurred to me that I hadn't fully shared the great tanks that we share with these students. Let me tell you, it has been a learning process and R2R has been a great help as a quick resource for answers. Thanks to all of you who participate on this forum. Welcome the the beach classroom containing 5 biotope style tanks representing our local aquatic habitats.
IMG_20230525_134731.jpg

We teach two lessons in this classroom. The younger kids learn to sort and measure shells and participate in a tank scavenger hunt. The older kids complete water parameter tests on water samples and attempt to match them to the aquatic habitat that best matches the data.

Freshwater tank: mosquito fish, sailfin molly, marsh killifish, golden topminnow, fat sleeper goby, lyre goby, snails, and plants

IMG_20230525_134244.jpg

Brackish Bay Tank: Bull minnow, Slippery Wrasse, Emerald Parrotfish, Thin striped hermit crabs

IMG_20230525_134254.jpg

Emerald Parrotfish Nicholsina usta: I caught this little guy in a dip net and it looked like a fingernail clipping with eyes. He was tiny. I put him in a mature refugium and a year later he is a hair algae eating machine. As you can tell from the rocks I keep the GHA growing as fast as it can and he mows it down just as fast. Amazing little fish with great personality. He's usually sits on the bottom after eating his fill of table shrimp. This is the only way to keep him still for a photo op.
IMG_20230525_134258.jpg

Florida Panhandle Beach Tank #1: Spotted Scorpionfish, Lane Snapper, Variegated Urchin, Thin Striped Hermit Crabs

IMG_20230525_134307.jpg

The Spotted Scorpionfish is one of the show stoppers of the classroom!

IMG_20230525_134321 (1).jpg

Florida Panhandle Beach Tank #2: Lionfish named "Ceviche," Molly Miller Blenny, Pleated Sea Squirt, Thin Striped Hermit Crabs, Variegated Sea Urchins.

IMG_20230525_134226.jpg

Florida Keys Tank (disclaimer-I couldn't collect everything so I purchased items that represented Keys creatures but aren't exact.) Orange shoulder tang, Falco hawkfish, Royal Gramma, Filefish, Green Chromis, Molly Miller Blenny, Banded Coral Shrimp, Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemones, Mushrooms, Hand Leather, Green Cabbage, Favites, , Blasto, Red Monti Cap, Birds Nest, Chalice, Photosynthetic Sponge, Urchins, Snails, and Hermits. Forgive the poor photo quality it was the last minutes of the last day of work that I quick snapped these with my phone.

IMG_20230525_134342 (1).jpg

If you are still reading you may be interested in the back sides of these tanks. The reef is a 250G. The other tanks are 125G. Ceviche's tank is a 90G.

250G its a work in progress. I should have cleaned up the wires a little better. Filter socks, Protein Skimmer, Separate Refugium on the table, ATO below the table. The most recent upgrade was the APEX and the dosing pump.
IMG_20230525_134514.jpg

The 125G wall
IMG_20230525_134544.jpg

Thanks for reading. It's theraputic to have this for a little closure. I was offered a new job last Thursday. Friday was the last day before summer break. I told the school district I wasn't returning and walked away from the environmental center into a new adventure. I did manage to take home my QT tank/water storage tank. It was up and running for more than a year and will be my little reef at home now.

My new beginning!
IMG_20230524_173552~2.jpg

Happy Reefing!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome! Thank you for the formal introduction and for making a difference by sharing native fishes to so many others. Congratulations on your new adventure!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon, My name is Adam and I have had the pleasure of building a beach classroom through grant money for our local school district at its environmental center. I was a teacher at this facility but I will be embarking on a new employment endeavor to earn a higher wage so that my wife can attend to family medical needs. It occurred to me that I hadn't fully shared the great tanks that we share with these students. Let me tell you, it has been a learning process and R2R has been a great help as a quick resource for answers. Thanks to all of you who participate on this forum. Welcome the the beach classroom containing 5 biotope style tanks representing our local aquatic habitats.
IMG_20230525_134731.jpg

We teach two lessons in this classroom. The younger kids learn to sort and measure shells and participate in a tank scavenger hunt. The older kids complete water parameter tests on water samples and attempt to match them to the aquatic habitat that best matches the data.

Freshwater tank: mosquito fish, sailfin molly, marsh killifish, golden topminnow, fat sleeper goby, lyre goby, snails, and plants

IMG_20230525_134244.jpg

Brackish Bay Tank: Bull minnow, Slippery Wrasse, Emerald Parrotfish, Thin striped hermit crabs

IMG_20230525_134254.jpg

Emerald Parrotfish Nicholsina usta: I caught this little guy in a dip net and it looked like a fingernail clipping with eyes. He was tiny. I put him in a mature refugium and a year later he is a hair algae eating machine. As you can tell from the rocks I keep the GHA growing as fast as it can and he mows it down just as fast. Amazing little fish with great personality. He's usually sits on the bottom after eating his fill of table shrimp. This is the only way to keep him still for a photo op.
IMG_20230525_134258.jpg

Florida Panhandle Beach Tank #1: Spotted Scorpionfish, Lane Snapper, Variegated Urchin, Thin Striped Hermit Crabs

IMG_20230525_134307.jpg

The Spotted Scorpionfish is one of the show stoppers of the classroom!

IMG_20230525_134321 (1).jpg

Florida Panhandle Beach Tank #2: Lionfish named "Ceviche," Molly Miller Blenny, Pleated Sea Squirt, Thin Striped Hermit Crabs, Variegated Sea Urchins.

IMG_20230525_134226.jpg

Florida Keys Tank (disclaimer-I couldn't collect everything so I purchased items that represented Keys creatures but aren't exact.) Orange shoulder tang, Falco hawkfish, Royal Gramma, Filefish, Green Chromis, Molly Miller Blenny, Banded Coral Shrimp, Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemones, Mushrooms, Hand Leather, Green Cabbage, Favites, , Blasto, Red Monti Cap, Birds Nest, Chalice, Photosynthetic Sponge, Urchins, Snails, and Hermits. Forgive the poor photo quality it was the last minutes of the last day of work that I quick snapped these with my phone.

IMG_20230525_134342 (1).jpg

If you are still reading you may be interested in the back sides of these tanks. The reef is a 250G. The other tanks are 125G. Ceviche's tank is a 90G.

250G its a work in progress. I should have cleaned up the wires a little better. Filter socks, Protein Skimmer, Separate Refugium on the table, ATO below the table. The most recent upgrade was the APEX and the dosing pump.
IMG_20230525_134514.jpg

The 125G wall
IMG_20230525_134544.jpg

Thanks for reading. It's theraputic to have this for a little closure. I was offered a new job last Thursday. Friday was the last day before summer break. I told the school district I wasn't returning and walked away from the environmental center into a new adventure. I did manage to take home my QT tank/water storage tank. It was up and running for more than a year and will be my little reef at home now.

My new beginning!
IMG_20230524_173552~2.jpg

Happy Reefing!
Hi Adam and welcome to r2r
It’s nice reading a story where someone has made such a positive influence and to share the love for fish keeping from different areas of the world .

They will have a very hard time replacing you but I’m sure they are happy for your new journey

Is the plan to stay In contact just in case they need your advice ?

OP
OP
Megaloptera

Megaloptera

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Adam and welcome to r2r
It’s nice reading a story where someone has made such a positive influence and to share the love for fish keeping from different areas of the world .

They will have a very hard time replacing you but I’m sure they are happy for your new journey

Is the plan to stay In contact just in case they need your advice ?
Oh yes, I will be in contact. I'm not moving away. Just changing venues.

OP
OP
Megaloptera

Megaloptera

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Thank you for the formal introduction and for making a difference by sharing native fishes to so many others. Congratulations on your new adventure!
It's amazing to watch kids light up seeing something new and even better when they find out these things are in there water!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's amazing to watch kids light up seeing something new and even better when they find out these things are in there water!
Yes! I service an aquarium in the classroom at the local nature center where thousands of kids are exposed to native fishes and other parts of nature every year. Before the pandemic I setup a stream side tank at an eco expo and used fish and aquascaping materials collected from the brackish stream (the baby flounder were an especially big hit!). Hopefully whatever you do moving forward, you will still find a way to share your passion for native fishes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back