End of cycle where is the phosphate going too should i keep adding?

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I have just registered for the forum. My tank is a 420-liter sump included with Aquaforest rocks and sand. Sump includes a large refuge with Chaeto (light is from H80 Kessil) I am on day 31 of the cycle. I added one Molly female on day 14 when NO3 started showing up. I added ammonia several times to (1.5-2 ppm final) as well as phosphate in the form of NaH2PO4. Since day 22 i am adding ethanol (99.9%) 0.2- 0.8 ml daily. Ammonia is now 0, NO3 is 50ppm and NO2 is about 3ppm (API strip). Every time I add phosphate to a final of 0.1 ppm it is gone in 48 hours. should I keep adding it till the NO3 is gone or am I accumulating it in the brown algae? Skeemer is 90% and is collecting brown-black guk and Chaeto seem to be growing (I am implementing iron as well). BTW Molly is now a proud mom to 10-15 little ones that are happily eating the brown algae

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At some point you can just feed the fish and stop adding all the other stuff. I would Also do a big water change to get rid of all the Nitrate other wise you might get a lot of unwanted algae.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nitrite is present, then it's throwing off your nitrate reading. I would stop dosing all that stuff, and wait to make any management decisions until the tank is done cycling.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back