End of Cycling..Can I add a fish or two with Nitrates still high?

emazz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at the point of my cycle where Ammonia and Nitrate are 0ppm, but my nitrates are >160ppm. Did a 20% water change to dilute slightly, but it didn't move. Everything I've read says anaerobic bacteria colonization takes a long time (6-8 months). I started with live sand and a pre-established large biobrick. Used RODI water for all. Can I add a fish or two with nitrates this high or am I waiting for nitrates to come down? Should I be doing more water changes? Bacteria dosing with a product of some kind?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate won't come down on their own. Change the water out and start fresh.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too high. Would get it down to at least half that before I thought about livestock

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't start dosing things this early either. Practice good husbandry before looking for a miracle in a bottle. Change out most or all of the water and start with a clean slate. It will help with algae issues along the way.

Edit: manners....... Welcome to R2R!

KevyKevTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A refugium with cheato and proper lighting will help with the nitrates, but it's more of a longer-term solution. But I can tell you with mine, after a very short amount of time running it (a couple of weeks), both nitrites and nitrates were at 0 (or very close and within the accuracy of my testing kits)...

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever walked into a public restroom and turned around at the door entrance because the air was so poor? Putting fish into a high nitrate recently cycled tank is like sending your immuno defficient child into that same toilet.

If you did a water change of 20 gallons and nitrate didn't budge then you must have a pretty nice sized system. You need to change half the water to lower nitrates by half.

The fish can handle the high nitrates, but they won't like it. What else do you want to put in the tank? If it is going to be fish only or if you want to have corals that will impact how much water you should change.

OP
OP
E

emazz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I have added anything to my tank at the start of the cycle? An ammonia source? Anything’s?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I have added anything to my tank at the start of the cycle? An ammonia source? Anything’s?
Nope. As I said before do a large water change. 80% or more to get your nitrates to a manageable level. After that start with a fish or 2. They will be your ammonia source.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @jakyl stated. Change as much water as possible and your ready.
True. Don’t expect changing half the water to change half the nitrates tho. It doesn’t work that way. May need a few large water changes

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of building a sulfur/ aragonite reactor out of two used reef octopus reactors I picked up for like 90 bucks..total. to manage nitrates long term..
There is a lot of great information out there about this..

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back