Engineer goby flashing

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it’s flashing but I’m not positive why. It’s been pretty lethargic the past couple of days. Ammonia badge read zero but I treated with prime last night and added an air pump for increased O2 in the water. This morning, I dosed ruby reef rally.

In the video it’s far more energetic than yesterday. It’s currently on its 4th transfer of the TTM. It’s already had 2 rounds of prazi via General Cure.

Any suggested treatments? I can do regular prazi. Hesitant to do a FW dip as it’s been so weak.

Here’s a video of it flashing.

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running any treatments at the moment? Or just observational quarantine?

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a formalin dip if he is still flashing when TTM is done. Prazi resistant flukes have been more common. You could also run hypo for 5 days but I personally would try a formalin dip first:)

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume velvet, and treat with either copper or CP.

Engineer goby's are scaleless though correct? So copper wouldn't be an option? Just confirming what I've read.

You could try a formalin dip if he is still flashing when TTM is done. Prazi resistant flukes have been more common. You could also run hypo for 5 days but I personally would try a formalin dip first:)

Does formalin cure or just ease the symptoms? I do have formalin-ms on hand.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, could ammonia burns be indicated by the symptoms? Badge didn't show anything high but they've been wrong before, though not for me.

It's showing significantly more energy. If this continues through tomorrow I'll do a FW dip to check for flukes.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Engineer goby's are scaleless though correct? So copper wouldn't be an option? Just confirming what I've read.

Good call, but I have used Coppersafe on them in the past. However, CP would be the safer option.

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin will treat prazi resistant flukes. If it does end up being velvet, the formalin can help to buy some time so either way there is no harm done.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call, but I have used Coppersafe on them in the past. However, CP would be the safer option.

Okay, not sure what my odds are of getting an Rx for that. I'll try the FW dip first tomorrow to rule out flukes and if that comes back as negative for them pursue an Rx for CP. Doubt we would have had an issue with our old vet as we were with him for over 15 years. But, we moved, so roll of the dice. Thanks for the help everyone.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have also kept engineer gobies in coppersafe without issue. I don't see this being a problem for you especially when you consider that the velvet would kill him pretty quick once TTM is over.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also kept engineer gobies in coppersafe without issue. I don't see this being a problem for you especially when you consider that the velvet would kill him pretty quick once TTM is over.

Thanks, the ironic thing is I purposely moved him into a TTM method while I treat 2 other fish with, you guessed it, copper lol! I'll start dosing copper tomorrow. unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time as I am out of town on Friday, but back on Saturday. I assume once I get the levels the same I still can't move him in with the other 2 fish as their time count would start over correct?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume once I get the levels the same I still can't move him in with the other 2 fish as their time count would start over correct?

Correct. You don't want to risk contaminating the other batch of fish with velvet and having to start the 30 day clock over on them. Be extra cautious of cross contamination between QT's.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. You don't want to risk contaminating the other batch of fish with velvet and having to start the 30 day clock over on them. Be extra cautious of cross contamination between QT's.

Been doing my best, though unfortunately due to space constraints, they are quite close. Heck, they're close to the DT too. Thankfully, not much air flow in my office and mild temps so AC/Heat hardly ever runs.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, looking at blown up pics of him I took this afternoon, he has some fin rot. Tiny guy. Have to really zoom in to see it at the back of his tail. IIRC, metro, kana, and furan2 can all be used in conjunction with copper correct?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, looking at blown up pics of him I took this afternoon, he has some fin rot. Tiny guy. Have to really zoom in to see it at the back of his tail. IIRC, metro, kana, and furan2 can all be used in conjunction with copper correct?

Not sure what IIRC is, but the others are fine with caution. If it's just a little bit of fin rot, then you may want to start with either kanaplex or furan2 and hold off on the others unless/until you need them.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for the advice. Night and day difference from yesterday to today. Goby is swimming around, more energetic, and aggressively chasing and eating food. Copper is at half of therapeutic level right now. I'll dose again this afternoon and a final time tomorrow morning to get to therapeutic before I leave. Hopefully it'll handle chelated copper just fine. It certainly seems to be responding to the lower levels positively though.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back