Enjoying, Feeding, Cleaning, Researching, Chatting: How much time do you spend reefing?

Enjoying, Feeding, Cleaning, Researching, Chatting: How much time do you spend reefing WEEKLY?

• Up to 2 hours

Votes: 109 15.0%
  • Up to 5 hours

Votes: 201 27.6%
  • Up to 10 hours

Votes: 163 22.4%
  • Up to 15 hours

Votes: 83 11.4%
  • Up to 20 hours

Votes: 70 9.6%
  • Up to 25 hours

Votes: 28 3.8%
  • Up to 30 hours

Votes: 18 2.5%
  • Up to 40 hours

Votes: 11 1.5%
  • 40 or more hours...come on really?

Votes: 39 5.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.0%

• Total voters

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend less than 5 hours a week. Most of my time is cleaning glass, testing water. I don't count observing the tank and looking up stuff on here and other web sites otherwise it would be 5 hours a day not a week

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it really depends on the week, some weeks i get to look at it mor others not so much.

Maintanance varies, change carbon every 2-4 weeks, trim cheato. Clean skimmer. Super basic easy stuff but depending on the week may take up more or less time.

As for testing water I test alk every 2 days 3 at max, but i cant even count that! It literally takes me 1-2 mins of my time with a salifert dkh kit :) all others depends on situation and if im correcting somthing from the last test may determine if i test other water chemistry more or less for the next 2-3 weeks

what takes up most of my reefing time, hmmm browsing! Buying corals and reading R2R, hahaha

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend less than one hour a week.

My most time consuming and frequent chore is mixing kalkwasser.
I rarely need to do a water change, in fact right now I'm suffering from low nutrients.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How many hours combined do you spend on your tank WEEKLY? (take everything into consideration)
About 30 hours (maybe more)
2. What makes up most of your reefing time?
Definitely chatting. I chat about reefs and fish a lot. Also just staring at the reef.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted upto 30 hours as 2- 3 hours daily researching/watching you tube videos and going through current threads and old threads reading everyones problems and ways to deal with problems with the hope the more research i do then be easier to spot a problem as it just occuring and then have head start on solution to problem whether thats take action or let mother nature do her thing and sit back and just keep eye on it as seems like from my reading we try solve one problem and then cause another problem so im trying to do natural approach as much as i can and hopefully in future if encounter any problems but im quite laid back i think ( mrs doesn't agree off course ) so im not so quick to panic if see algae in tank for example and i look at it as free food for my livestock rather than freak out and throw 101 bottles off chemicals into the tank ha ha ( ovbiously if algae was suffocating corals or killing something that is different altogether) but basically i think everything running smoothly so far for me but its only a problem if i make it a problem most off the time i believe ^_^ so stay calm,think,come up with a plan ,and sometimes plan maybe to do nothing

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A weekly average per month varies widely per month. Water change and maintenance week in a given takes more time. I spend much more time where I am researching corals and fish & just reading about reaping takes most of my time.

Fortunately, I'm retired.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fascination with Reefing is the intersection of Science and an Art Form

No one can be successful at this hobby based on pure science nor pure artful husbandry.

It's a combo of both.....

Bccarty151

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend enough time in front of my tank that I have developed a lighting parameter that is best for actually distinguishing the different jelly belly colors and not accidentally eating a nasty one!

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 minutes a day for maintenance. Everything running? Check! Temperature good? Check! Skimmer cup need emptying? Feed tank. Check! Clean glass? Seriously, I spend more time making water! If I didn't love it, I wouldn't do it.

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintenance takes ~1 hour per week, feeding perhaps another 30 minutes per a week. I'm a bit lazy with water testing though (~30 minutes per a week).

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It literally is my job. So yeah, I'm well over 40 hours a week. Even my days off, I get people with questions for me, usually friends, but still never a day off. Thankfully I love what I do. My job is my passion.

Tundra Cuttle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend probably 10 hrs a week on the tank most weeks, everything is manual.

Staring at the tank takes the most time I can just inspect the thing for hours if I was able. Cleaning filter socks is annoying even though it only takes like 20mins a week it's tedious.

I love all the comments that say "My wife would say way too much", I feel like I'm in the same boat, even though I hardly spend any money on the thing.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said 10hrs per week. Spread out time here on R2R, BRS site, and weekly maintenance it averages about 10 hrs per week (this time of year - summer)

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "other" because I suppose it depends on your definition of the word "reefing" If you only count time actually doing things involving the tanks, probably 3 hours or so.. If you include time here on the forum as well?? Welll lets just say that number is substantially higher...

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Always reefing!!!

Spring Break Meme GIF by Energizer Bunny

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i selected up to 30. retired what else would i have going on more compelling than looking over at the tank and thinking "would that be better if..." or "uh, oh, that looks different" or "how long has it been since I..." a lot is going on but i have my pleasure to occupy me.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back