Enlighten me ... Randy Recipe (Alk) and Red Sea B

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by potatocouch, Apr 27, 2017.

1. potatocouch

potatocouch Well-Known Member

@Randy Holmes-Farley if you may ... and I apologize in advanced if this has been raised in the past.

By no means this is to compare between Randy's and Red Sea; I just want to understand.

I was looking at your Alkalinity part (recipe #1 and recipe #2)
    • Recipe #1 for pH below 8.3 (bake then dissolve)
    • Recipe #2 for pH above 8.3 (no bake, straight dissolve)
    So I understand Randy's using Baking Soda, which is Sodium Bicarbonate, whilst Red Sea is Potassium Bicarbonate and other (???) stuff.

I have 2 questions for now:

First question: why would Red Sea has no mention whatsoever in regards to pH? It is to my understanding, regardless what pH, just drop 1 ml (for 100L) and it will raise 0.1 dKH.

Second question: I don't know what my pH so I have no idea whether I should be baking or not baking. As we all know, pH fluctuates. When do I then measure pH, so that I know whether I should be using recipe #1 or recipe #2?

TIA!

2. terri_ann

terri_ann Well-Known Member

Best time to measure is at middle of peak photo period and right before lights come on. This will give you what is the highest and lowest Ph readings, and you will also find the amount of Ph swing...not considering other factors which influence Ph. Record the time of day and use the numbers as your baseline. I'm not Randy but as he knows, he's my main chemistry squeeze and old enough almost to be his mother! You've asked the right person Tia!

3. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

They CANNOT use primarily potassium bicarbonate as the main alk ingredient if this is intended as an alkalinity additive for a reef tank. Potassium will get way, way too high very fast. It may be the source of potassium in a balanced additive system, but there is not much needed for that purpose.

Almost all people benefit from using sodium carbonate (baked baking soda, or you can buy sodium carbonate) as most people not using limewater will benefit from a pH boost.

potatocouch and MagisterDamask like this.
  4. potatocouch

If by pH measurement mistake, I chose recipe #1 over recipe #2 and vice versa, the impact to corals and fishies is significantly bad right? Apology for the silly question.

5. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

pH is not generally critical and selecting either is likely a fine choice. :)

potatocouch likes this.
  6. potatocouch

7. potatocouch

Apology, next question @Randy Holmes-Farley, i hope you don't mind. If other folks want to chime in, feel free.

I' m referring to the above post from you Randy; so if I bake 594 grams of Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) for 1 hour on 149° celcius oven, do I then re-measure and only use 375 grams of the finished product, which I presume is now Soda Ash (Sodium Carbonate) and mix with warm 3.8L RODI?

This solution will then contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH)?

8. Randy Holmes-Farley

You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)

9. Randy Holmes-Farley

No need or desire to remeasure. :)

potatocouch likes this.
  10. potatocouch

Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley

My last question (i promise) to you in relation to your Alk recipe.
    • Measuring exact 594 grams (Baking Soda) is achievable using electronic kitchen scale. :)
    • Measuring 1 gallon warm RODI water (which equates to 3.78541 litre) is harder. :( By hard, I meant to make a consistent 3.78541 litre all the time.
    The question is:
    • It's probably easier to make a consistent 4 litre of water; would this be an acceptable approach?
      I do understand that this would mean it's a weaker solution, however more consistent from batch to batch.

Thank you!

11. Randy Holmes-Farley

Its fine to raise the volume. Do it for the calcium part as well. Exact concentrations are not that important, but it cannot be made a lot more concentrated.

potatocouch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted