Enlighten me ... Randy Recipe (Alk) and Red Sea B

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley if you may ... and I apologize in advanced if this has been raised in the past.

By no means this is to compare between Randy's and Red Sea; I just want to understand.

I was looking at your Alkalinity part (recipe #1 and recipe #2)
  • Recipe #1 for pH below 8.3 (bake then dissolve)
  • Recipe #2 for pH above 8.3 (no bake, straight dissolve)
So I understand Randy's using Baking Soda, which is Sodium Bicarbonate, whilst Red Sea is Potassium Bicarbonate and other (???) stuff.

I have 2 questions for now:

First question: why would Red Sea has no mention whatsoever in regards to pH? It is to my understanding, regardless what pH, just drop 1 ml (for 100L) and it will raise 0.1 dKH.

Second question: I don't know what my pH so I have no idea whether I should be baking or not baking. As we all know, pH fluctuates. When do I then measure pH, so that I know whether I should be using recipe #1 or recipe #2?

TIA!

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best time to measure is at middle of peak photo period and right before lights come on. This will give you what is the highest and lowest Ph readings, and you will also find the amount of Ph swing...not considering other factors which influence Ph. Record the time of day and use the numbers as your baseline. I'm not Randy[emoji6] but as he knows, he's my main chemistry squeeze and old enough almost to be his mother! You've asked the right person Tia![emoji38]

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley if you may ... and I apologize in advanced if this has been raised in the past.

By no means this is to compare between Randy's and Red Sea; I just want to understand.

I was looking at your Alkalinity part (recipe #1 and recipe #2)
  • Recipe #1 for pH below 8.3 (bake then dissolve)
  • Recipe #2 for pH above 8.3 (no bake, straight dissolve)
So I understand Randy's using Baking Soda, which is Sodium Bicarbonate, whilst Red Sea is Potassium Bicarbonate and other (???) stuff.

I have 2 questions for now:

First question: why would Red Sea has no mention whatsoever in regards to pH? It is to my understanding, regardless what pH, just drop 1 ml (for 100L) and it will raise 0.1 dKH.

Second question: I don't know what my pH so I have no idea whether I should be baking or not baking. As we all know, pH fluctuates. When do I then measure pH, so that I know whether I should be using recipe #1 or recipe #2?

TIA!

They CANNOT use primarily potassium bicarbonate as the main alk ingredient if this is intended as an alkalinity additive for a reef tank. Potassium will get way, way too high very fast. It may be the source of potassium in a balanced additive system, but there is not much needed for that purpose.

Almost all people benefit from using sodium carbonate (baked baking soda, or you can buy sodium carbonate) as most people not using limewater will benefit from a pH boost.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If by pH measurement mistake, I chose recipe #1 over recipe #2 and vice versa, the impact to corals and fishies is significantly bad right? Apology for the silly question.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If by pH measurement mistake, I chose recipe #1 over recipe #2 and vice versa, the impact to corals and fishies is significantly bad right? Apology for the silly question.

pH is not generally critical and selecting either is likely a fine choice. :)

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apology, next question @Randy Holmes-Farley, i hope you don't mind. If other folks want to chime in, feel free.

When the recipe calls for 594 grams (~2.25 cups) of baking soda before baking, that is equivalent to 375 grams of sodium carbonate.

I' m referring to the above post from you Randy; so if I bake 594 grams of Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) for 1 hour on 149° celcius oven, do I then re-measure and only use 375 grams of the finished product, which I presume is now Soda Ash (Sodium Carbonate) and mix with warm 3.8L RODI?

This solution will then contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH)?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apology, next question @Randy Holmes-Farley, i hope you don't mind. If other folks want to chime in, feel free.

I' m referring to the above post from you Randy; so if I bake 594 grams of Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) for 1 hour on 149° celcius oven, do I then re-measure and only use 375 grams of the finished product, which I presume is now Soda Ash (Sodium Carbonate) and mix with warm 3.8L RODI?

This solution will then contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH)?

No need or desire to remeasure. :)

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need or desire to remeasure. :)

Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley

My last question (i promise) to you in relation to your Alk recipe.
  • Measuring exact 594 grams (Baking Soda) is achievable using electronic kitchen scale. :)
  • Measuring 1 gallon warm RODI water (which equates to 3.78541 litre) is harder. :( By hard, I meant to make a consistent 3.78541 litre all the time.
The question is:
  • It's probably easier to make a consistent 4 litre of water; would this be an acceptable approach?
    I do understand that this would mean it's a weaker solution, however more consistent from batch to batch.

Thank you!

Msirhan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, that is the thread i searched long, if you mind to answer.
using soda ash is the same as baked baking soda? if we bake baking soda 594g it come out without water so less grams, so if i want to use direct sodiumcarbonate should i measure 594g too? or less to have balanced mixture? (the purity degree for the sodiumcarbonate is unknown).
and the next question will it raise alk the same as baked baking soda? (since it is easier to direct do the alk mixture with soda ash)
thanks in advanced
majd

Msirhan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
594 grams of sodium bicarbonate and 375 grams of sodium carbonate have the same amount of alkalinity.
so that means i can follow the recipe #1 just changing to 375 grams sodium carbonate, anything else stay the same?
and the magnesium part, as i understand the percipitate is not bad, can i take just the fluid and dose via doing pump? i followed the 3A, can you tell in grams how much 3 cups epsom salt and magnesium chlorid hexahydrate are?!

i do not know what reefer could have done without your answers :)
thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so that means i can follow the recipe #1 just changing to 375 grams sodium carbonate, anything else stay the same?
and the magnesium part, as i understand the percipitate is not bad, can i take just the fluid and dose via doing pump? i followed the 3A, can you tell in grams how much 3 cups epsom salt and magnesium chlorid hexahydrate are?!

i do not know what reefer could have done without your answers :)
thank you

Yes, that’s correct on the carbonate. I’ll check on the magnesium, but I think I designed it for 64 ounces of just Epsom salt since that is how it often came packaged st the time.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back