Enough pods for mandarin?

D4jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I have enough pods for a mandarin. I have a 40 breeder with 50lbs live rock and 70 lbs of arag/oolite (40 lbs arag/30 oolite)
20210315_210735~2.jpg
sand. Plus 20 lbs rock in my fuge with coarse sponges. the glass in the fuge has about 25 to 50 copepods per square inch. And there's amphipods in the sponges everywhere. Could I just transfer the sponges back and forth from my fuge and dt to keep my population strong? I don't use phyto or anything but I do feed heavily. This tank has only been running for a month or so, but everything was transferred from my old tank except the sand so I didn't experience a proper cycle. I only had a week long diatom outbreak. Thanks for any suggestions.

Preacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think enough is always a subjective answer when it comes to Mandarins...some just eat every pod in sight. I have been looking into captive bred options that are being raised to eat other foods. Personally, anything I can do to increase my chances of success with a Mandarin is the path I will be taking.

Preacher

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The tank looks fairly new, I would wait. Even if you moved everything over from your old tank, whatever cycle you did have could have killed of a healthy % of pods

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do get one just plan on adding pods as you go. Nothing bad can come of having too many. I've had a mandarin in my 90 gallon and haven't added pods in a year. That being said, he does nothing but eat all day long.

Back