Enough Spread?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ShellSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon Marineland tank with the Marineland Monterey canopy and stand, 48X24X24.
I have altered the canopy with a cut out on the top to accommodate a black box type led fixture that sits about 12 inch from water but now looking to upgrade lighting.
I am considering going with an Aquatic Life Hybrid G2 fixture. I do not think I will have enough room in the canopy to go with a 48-inch fixture so I’m considering the 36-inch fixture with two LED AI Hydra 32HD’s.
Each AI 32HD would be placed one foot from each end of the tank, assuming the Hybrid will allow them that far to the end of the fixture.
When budget allows, I could add another LED in center but for now, I wonder if this plan sounds like enough spread for a mixed reef. Your thoughts welcome on this and suggestion on T5 bulb spectrum recommendations.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be enough in my opinion, and would allow you to place lower light corals off into the corners there. I have a 36" fixture on my 48" tank and wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Same placements as you want with Led's as well.

Bulbs from front to back on mine are
Blue +
Coral +
Purple +
Coral +

Running 2 Kessil's + a 30" reefbrite xho in blue

I. Love. It.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going off of your measurements the setup could work. Do you have any pictures of the canopy? I think your height is more than enough for a mixed tank w/Hydra's and T5s Though 3 LEDs might be overkill depending on how your aquascape is setup. In our setup, we currently have two XR30's hanging and I've been tinkering with our T5s one in the front one in the back both have a daylight bulb though I like the blue light better. I recently took down the front T5 and have 48' Orphek blue light LED bar coming I've read some really good things for coral growth using them.

In terms of par at peak time between 12pm -4pm using the LEDs and T5's we sit about 220-230 at the highest rock point about 14 inches from the lights.

IMG-1538.jpg IMG-1537.jpg IMG-1536.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back