Enough Water Movement?

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if you guys think I will have enough water movement for my fish and coral.

Tank is
72" Wide x 30" Deep x 24" High
225 Gallons

I picked up 2 x Maxspect Gyres XF230 with Controller

The plan was to have them centered on each end of the tank, facing each other.

Think that will be enough?

Also maybe if you guys own the same unit you can recommend what type of flow and speed works best for you, without blowing all the sand all over the place.

Thank you!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW ecotech has a calculator that helps you identify which VorTech powerhead and how many based upon tank dimensions. You could probably use this to get a sense of what flow they suggest. Hopefully the link copies below

OP
OP
H

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Kind of Fish and or Corals do you have?. I few pictures of your current tank from different angels would really help. :)

Hi @CasaReefer I actually have an empty tank at the moment, hoping to start loading it up this weekend haha. Just trying to get everything ready to go by then

The plan/dream is to have some tangs, clownfish gobys... Fish along those lines. With easier hardy coral too begin with.

OP
OP
H

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW ecotech has a calculator that helps you identify which VorTech powerhead and how many based upon tank dimensions. You could probably use this to get a sense of what flow they suggest. Hopefully the link copies below

Awesome calculator, thank you very much for sharing.

Based on the calculator, 1 MP40 (4500 gal/hr) would be enough for LPS (large polyp stony coral) but not enough for SPS.
2 XF230s is about 4600 gal/hr, so I think I may be good.

Issue is I don't know what the difference between LPS and SPS is in terms of the coral I have seen in store and want haha.
So I think maybe I'll stick with the 2 gyres for now and post in the future and get your opinions if is enough or not.

Thank you!

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have almost the same dimensions as you with my Red Sea XXL 750. The width is a bit smaller, but the length and height is the same and I have two of the MaxSpect XF350s. I have them set at the highest 80% and the lowest 40% and they do not blow the sand and provide plenty of flow. I am not sure the 330s would provide enough flow though. You may end up having to get additional powerheads to add more flow in certain areas. I would recommend going with the 350s instead of the 330s though. You can always turn the 350s down if they are too much, but you can't turn the 330 up if they aren't enough.

Edit: After rereading that, it looks like you already got the 330s. If you end up getting SPS you will probably need additional powerheads, but LPS may be fine...

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS is like a soft coral with a solid base. SPS are all solid, also known as sticks. In general soft corals and LPS requires less flow. If possible you want to provide random flow. Single directional flow can cause problems.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS is like a soft coral with a solid base. SPS are all solid, also known as sticks. In general soft corals and LPS requires less flow. If possible you want to provide random flow. Single directional flow can cause problems.
@lapin and @Hamsnacks I have an MP40 and I set it to ”gyre” or “long pulse” mode so it creates flow for 20 min and then lower flow for 20. Guessing Maxspect can be controlled similarly.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lapin and @Hamsnacks I have an MP40 and I set it to ”gyre” or “long pulse” mode so it creates flow for 20 min and then lower flow for 20. Guessing Maxspect can be controlled similarly.
You can program the Maxspect Gyre's to a different flow every minute of the day by any percentage of power and forward or reverse gyre. You can also use one of the two preset modes. One is a random mode that cycles through modes all day and the other is the Oceanic Tidal mode that replicates the oceans tides according to the phase of the moon.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - I use 2 x wf250's on my 4x2x2 120 DT. I also have 2 x 1500gph and one x 850gph koralias. My Gyre's top out at 60% becasue I have them on the back glass and any higher causes water to spill over the front of the tank. 2 x 230's won't be too much IMO - in fact I would guess that to avoid dead spots in a tank that size you'll be adding more power heads.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 61.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back