Enriching/Gutloading BBS question

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up 2 BRS brine shrimp hatcheries and I have to say, this thing is dang amazing (no jars, no DIY contraptions that requires smarts I don't have). The BBS leave the eggs behind and congregate in the center skieve where I can lift just the BBS out to feed my dwarf ponies.

Now I realized a week after (due to either lack of reading or too much info for me to follow), I need to gutload or enrich them after 24 hours for more nutrients. So I got Spirulina powder.

My question is, after I mix it up, can I squirt it right into the hatchery after 24 hours of initial hatching for convenience (which I clean out once a week and start over hatching), or do I need to remove the BBS and put in a separate jar?

if I need to separate them into a jar, do I need to aerate the jars?

I am also reading on water changes in BBS water- how without losing the BBS? So confused.

Help please?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was culturing large batches for jellies/sygnathids, we always changed containers after 24 hrs, and fed at 48 for fouling reasons. No reason to gut load, I don't think they're eating yet, just enriched with selcon. If you're raising them, I've had good luck with spirulina powder, but paste will work fine. Concentrations are available with a simple google search and secchi stick. But yes, they need to be aerated at all times, unless siphoning off/transferring. I don't know what you're feeding them to, but I'd imagine selcon is enough.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was culturing large batches for jellies/sygnathids, we always changed containers after 24 hrs, and fed at 48 for fouling reasons. No reason to gut load, I don't think they're eating yet, just enriched with selcon. If you're raising them, I've had good luck with spirulina powder, but paste will work fine. Concentrations are available with a simple google search and secchi stick. But yes, they need to be aerated at all times, unless siphoning off/transferring. I don't know what you're feeding them to, but I'd imagine selcon is enough.

thank you :) I’m feeding them to dwarf seahorses. I’m not intending to raise the brine shrimps to adults, I want to give the ponies more nutrition

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That item seems to be a hatchery and says nothing about feeding them. I’m looking for answers on how to feed them?
It is a hatchery, but will keep them alive for more than the 2 days it takes for them to consume the red food sac they are born with.
I just dump the phyto in 2 days after hatch out. Again if the water gets clear.

Back