With a bit of bleach, it would be alive down there today.“Only a newbie gets sold POS paly because it is the one animal they cannot kill. I swear there are some living dry, today, over my neighbor's fence, 7 yrs after I chucked it.”
Ahhh....that would be why it was the only thing that survived a cross country move in the back of a pickup truck, then being placed in a dark, cold basement with just a small circulation pump...for two months.
Lol...now I’m gonna have to check out your build thread!Man, I spent 3 mos building the world’s most jacked up Reefer 250 and I get one comment a month. I paste a link to an article with a catchy title, get 4 pages of comments in 12 hrs!
Stay safe guys. Paly toxicity is real and dangerous.
About 25 years ago I had some brown and green large palys from Hawaii. While cleaning my tank I handled the palys and was exposed to palytoxin and had similar symptoms. One symptom I had that they didn't mention was a metallic brass taste in my mouth. At the time, the hospital had no idea what cause the sickness, just that I was exposed to some type of toxin. The story does seem to sensationalize a near death experience. When I was exposed I was no where near death... but very sick with a irregular heart beat.This is my issue with this story.. I’ve seen enough stories of people here in Florida with flesh eating disease and hospitals are quick to dismiss this. Something this rare? Idk seems bit fishy to me I’ve also never heard of issues airborn. I always wear gloves with softies just in case but this seems a little far fetched to me. More like the doctor or hospital isnteachjng for a reason and someone with a bit of knowledge stepped in said. Something false and everyone else jumps on the band wagon. People have been keeping corals for 100 years and nothing to this extent has ever happened before. History, logic and some common sense says this is a story. Someone more versed will chime in on this but I don’t see bird falling from the sky over a reef cause some corals got upset. This smells bad to me so until a versed biologist says different and provides proof that’s what it will stay.
Either way I’ll cintinue handling my softies with gloves and eye eye protection cause we all know some can be deadly but this that are are but few and rarely found in tanks..
Yup...we had that metallic taste thing.About 25 years ago I had some brown and green large palys from Hawaii. While cleaning my tank I handled the palys and was exposed to palytoxin and had similar symptoms. One symptom I had that they didn't mention was a metallic copper taste in my mouth. At the time, the hospital had no idea what cause the sickness, just that I was exposed to some type of toxin.
This is a real concern. Most of the corals/palys we keep are completely safe, however, some are not. Wearing gloves and even glasses is a good precautionary measure worth taking especially when handling higher risk animals.
Life is not fair nor is social media!Man, I spent 3 mos building the world’s most jacked up Reefer 250 and I get one comment a month. I paste a link to an article with a catchy title, get 4 pages of comments in 12 hrs!
Stay safe guys. Paly toxicity is real and dangerous.
1. that article and its follow up part 2 show zero proofWas going to respond again pointing out ignorance here but instead I’ll just post this and let everyone get informed..
The Dangers (and Myths) of Zoa Toxicity - Part 1 - The oceans are full of creatures capable of killing us; one of the more surprising marine menaces is a group of popular aquarium corals known variably asreefs.com
There are many examples of it being airborn. People boiling rocks, or using an airhose to blow off rocks.Idk seems bit fishy to me I’ve also never heard of issues airborn
Idk from what I’ve read it has to have direct route to blood..There are many examples of it being airborn. People boiling rocks, or using an airhose to blow off rocks.
I poisoned myself and my dog because, after a tank crash, i spent hours cleaning off hair algae and throwing it into a bucket. A gooey mess off a large zoa colony, that i thought was long gone, was part of the gunk i was pulling up. Dumped the bucket in the tub, used the showerhead to wash it down. Boom, poison mist.
You can read more about my experience HERE
It’s more too it then that.. I think people are not reading the report correctly and you even referenced it incorrectly..Thanks for that link. It confirms everything I have learned over the last 9 years and I encourage everyone to read it. OMG it is geeky, but in this research project on retail sale of Palys...
"Between the two stores, eight additional specimens were acquired. Of these, three were found to be highly toxic (Table 3). "
3 out of 8 but hey. Maybe it is different outside of VA.
As an experienced person I am likely OK. I have read all the fake news and don't have time to get sick. That said, I have multiple small lacerations from vermetid snail shells, razor blades & general male stupidity, so I take that into account. As a service person who has to break down infested tanks... well their odds get substantially worse. Only two of our staff got sick in April from doing so. Only cost them 1 day of work. They only had to get it out of the tank, and back to the store dumpster. The owner only missed 1/2 day. At 15 years experience, he knew better.
As a newbie managing/cleaning on their own? Really? Who knows what they might do to save $8/lbs rock. Wipe eyes/mouth/nose/cuts? Powerwash, propane torch, boiling? At one time I would've BBQ the stuff.
Only a newbie gets sold POS paly because it is the one animal they cannot kill. I swear there are some living dry, today, over my neighbor's fence, 7 yrs after I chucked it.
I won't sell/trade/buy the green/tan/brown paly stuff and neither will my LFS. Nobody should sell it. Full stop. It ain't that good looking and certainly not worth getting sick over.
The tricky bit is... what is "it"? I FEEL like I know what "it" is. So, Sunny-D Palys are good? Purple People Eaters are cool? Where is the line? I will trust the science when they take a look.
This is a forum suitable to sourcing such an answer. In the meantime, ugly palys will suffer discrimination. On this item only, my kids will understand.
We were using well water.....no chlorine, no “mustard gas.” It was aerosolized because I scrubbed it and rinsed with water.Idk from what I’ve read it has to have direct route to blood..
I do find something interesting though. Just throwing this out there as it makes more sense to me.. you have chlorine in tap water (as well as many other cleaning agents) that you were using to wash off super dirty items from a crashed tank likely lots of detritus with built up ammonia levels in a small unventilated room of your house using possibly hot steamy water..
Sounds like you possibly created mustard gas.
There is one thing in common with what your saying though and that’s introducing water vapor in some form. I’ve never boiled rock to clean it. I see the risk of many other things by doing this even best case you’re standing over a pot of boiling ammonia which alone can burn your lungs.