Entire family hospitalized due to palytoxin

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyway, this guy seems to be arguing palytoxin isn't a thing in the hobby (despite linking several articles himself that say it is), but he also wears gloves when messing with his corals. so, despite the vast amounts of RESEARCH he has done, he wears gloves anyway. i suggest others do as well.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyway, this guy seems to be arguing palytoxin isn't a thing in the hobby (despite linking several articles himself that say it is), but he also wears gloves when messing with his corals. so, despite the vast amounts of RESEARCH he has done, he wears gloves anyway. i suggest others do as well.
I'm actually glad he did bring this up. It's been a good chance to get more updated information in the public eye. Our knowledge of the toxin has increased dramatically over the last 4 or 5 years and we now know that even scientific studies from 2009 and 2012 reached the wrong conclusions.

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is, I had this Paly in my tank for a YEAR before that unfortunate episode....hands in and out of tank, no gloves or goggles. Never bothered me at all until I INJURED it by scraping it off that rock.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is, I had this Paly in my tank for a YEAR before that unfortunate episode....hands in and out of tank, no gloves or goggles. Never bothered me at all until I INJURED it by scraping it off that rock.
Do you know if that paly came directly from the ocean?

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if that paly came directly from the ocean?
It came directly from a fish/ reef store in Burlington, Vermont, lol! They weren’t even really selling it, but had several large mats of it growing in different tanks. I commented on it and the employee just gave me some...I thought it was pretty!

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... at least this thread led me to ignore the posts of a know-it-all member.
Still it was fun to read.
I was tempted, but there can be a lot to learn from discussions like this.
Also, Hi! You're the first person I've seen on here from Qc other than myself.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came directly from a fish/ reef store in Burlington, Vermont, lol! They weren’t even really selling it, but had several large mats of it growing in different tanks. I commented on it and the employee just gave me some...I thought it was pretty!
I'd be shocked if it didn't come in as a hitch hiker on either corals or live rock that they had brought in based on the latest studies I have seen.

Just glad you are still around to tell the story! I don't fear the toxin, but I do have a healthy respect for it.

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was tempted, but there can be a lot to learn from discussions like this.
Also, Hi! You're the first person I've seen on here from Qc other than myself.
Hi, dont get me wrong i did like to read the previous pages and consider this conversation important.
It's just pointed to a decision i often take when all posts lead to a certain direction.
Not many canadians on this forum.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can go in for days with actual reputable spruces on this. You need to get off Wikipedia.

Thanks for that link. It confirms everything I have learned over the last 9 years and I encourage everyone to read it. OMG it is geeky, but in this research project on retail sale of Palys...

"Between the two stores, eight additional specimens were acquired. Of these, three were found to be highly toxic (Table 3). "

3 out of 8 but hey. Maybe it is different outside of VA.

As an experienced person I am likely OK. I have read all the fake news and don't have time to get sick. That said, I have multiple small lacerations from vermetid snail shells, razor blades & general male stupidity, so I take that into account. As a service person who has to break down infested tanks... well their odds get substantially worse. Only two of our staff got sick in April from doing so. Only cost them 1 day of work. They only had to get it out of the tank, and back to the store dumpster. The owner only missed 1/2 day. At 15 years experience, he knew better.

As a newbie managing/cleaning on their own? Really? Who knows what they might do to save $8/lbs rock. Wipe eyes/mouth/nose/cuts? Powerwash, propane torch, boiling? At one time I would've BBQ the stuff.

Only a newbie gets sold point of sale paly because it is the one animal they cannot kill. I swear there are some living dry, today, over my neighbor's fence, 7 yrs after I chucked it.

I won't sell/trade/buy the green/tan/brown paly stuff and neither will my LFS. Nobody should sell it. Full stop. It ain't that good looking and certainly not worth getting sick over.

The tricky bit is... what is "it"? I FEEL like I know what "it" is. So, Sunny-D Palys are good? Purple People Eaters are cool? Where is the line? I will trust the science when they take a look.

This is a forum suitable to sourcing such an answer. In the meantime, ugly palys will suffer discrimination. On this item only, my kids will understand.

Be safe.

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Only a newbie gets sold point of sale paly because it is the one animal they cannot kill. I swear there are some living dry, today, over my neighbor's fence, 7 yrs after I chucked it.”
Ahhh....that would be why it was the only thing that survived a cross country move in the back of a pickup truck, then being placed in a dark, cold basement with just a small circulation pump...for two months.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s needs to be ingested or open wound or cut cause it only has effect when in the blood so some magical gas off isn’t realistic.

The palytoxin can actually transfer through the skin. Julian Sprung did a presentation on palytoxins at a MACNA. There is also a video of the presentation out there somewhere. He talks about how he experienced it first hand.

Back