[entire reef issue] Losing a looong battle, about to give up. (black paint algae, everthing dying)

MOAIAP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

First of all, I'm new here, but I'm a bit desperate and hope you guys can help me and my reef.

The story is a bit long... it's about how this: https://imgur.com/vSrEfEV tuned into this https://imgur.com/hrFEBPo https://imgur.com/BSmdAUa https://imgur.com/pl4r7dM so please bear with me!

About a year and a half ago, we moved, and we set up the new tank, it is bigger (150x60x60cm about 600liters).
Everything survived the move, and all the corals and fish seemed in good health.

A few weeks later we started seeing some corals not opening, a bit more algae than normal, etc. We thought it was the new tank cycling. The thing is... it never stopped... corals weakened and died one by one, and are still dying.

We tried everything we could think of:
Calling the guys from our LFS to do a major cleanup of the rock and bottom.
Controlling the nitrates.
Very frequent water changes.
Tweaked the lightning both ways
Ran activated carbon
Even a nearly 100% water change a few weeks ago,etc.
We even used a canvas bag that was supposed to detect and remove heavy metals (it did neither AFAIK).

We switched brands of salt (from kent to red sea coral pro to aquaforest probio, etc). We live in argentina, so product availabily is always an issue, but we had used those salts for a long time with no issues.

I even changed our reverse osmosis machine (entirely) in case it was malfunctioning or something.

We test regularly, and besides some high nitrates (which we controlled) everything was OK the whole time.

All our fish are OK (mandarin, dori and nemo).

The main symptoms I can identify:
1) Nothing green seems to grow in the tank. Caulerpa decolorates and dies, filament algae (the one used as algae filters) become transparent-brown and die. No hair algae anywhere. We have a sump with proper lightning and caulerpa died too.
2) Something similar to black paint is covering all the rocks where the light shines. It's not gooey or slippery (not cyano), it looks and feels just as paint. We removed the rock from the tank and scrubbed it in tankwater twice now, and it comes back. Scrubbing it with a toothbrush makes it come off, but it takes a while as it's quite hard and adhered to the rock.
3) Corals slowly debilitate and die off, one by one. We had mostly LPS and soft corals, sarcophytons rotted inside, the others just withered away.
4) All small lifeforms (copepods, tiny ophiura (had a ton), etc) died. I can only find the tiny little snails that look like a cone. Even pests such as aiptasia are nowhere to be seen.

I really have no idea what to try anymore... I even thought the silicone used in the tank could be an issue, but from what I've read, everything would have died in the first couple weeks if it was that...

Any help is appreciated.... We are *this* close to giving up on this hobbie of 13 years of ours :(

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it maybe be something In your aquarium that is rusting, like a cracked magnetic impeller, maybe a screw that fell in the sump, or even a rusted clamp near the water?
I had this same issue with my old 200 gallon aquarium, I did large water changes, tested, ran carbon etc. I turned out, that after I took the aquarium down, I came to find out that one my return pump impellers was cracked and completely rusted.
Good luck, I hope it doesn’t discourage you.

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dori and nemo...triggered. Blue hippo tang and clown fish...

Test your water for copper, maybe there's a source or copper leeching from previous use or similar. Send a sample off for icp testing too.

OP
OP
M

MOAIAP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it maybe be something In your aquarium that is rusting, like a cracked magnetic impeller, maybe a screw that fell in the sump, or even a rusted clamp near the water?
I had this same issue with my old 200 gallon aquarium, I did large water changes, tested, ran carbon etc. I turned out, that after I took the aquarium down, I came to find out that one my return pump impellers was cracked and completely rusted.
Good luck, I hope it doesn’t discourage you.

Will check them... I haven't noticed noise or anything, but I only have 3 pumps in total, so I'll check just in case!

OP
OP
M

MOAIAP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
M

MOAIAP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
M

MOAIAP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copying another response:

I had to google what does mean.... unfortunately that's not something that exists in my country, and even if I tried to send a sample to the US customs of my country would most probably block it.
I did use this: https://www.amazon.com/Two-Little-Fishies-MetaSorb-Treatments/dp/B00N45H8TY
I know it's not the same, but if it was copper or iron poisoning I think it would have caught it?

What country? You'd be really surprised....some of the ICP companies are located in Europe actually.

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely an ICP if you can get it done. ATI is in Germany. This could well provide you with the key to resolving your issues.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back