Environmental Impact of DI Resin

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am not going to get into a trash debate. BUT if you want to do something about it, THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!

Get a 3 stage di unit. Thats anion, cation, and mixed bed. Odds are very very high you are only exhausting the anion or the cation.

Buy a big bag of the one your are exhausting. Change out as needed. Then when you dont have any left..recharge it.

I dump my anion resin in lye and water. BOOM.. recharged. Cation needs an acod and water. Rinse with rodi water, let air dry. I bought a fine mesh filter that fits on top of a 5 gallon bucket for like $12 to assist in the process.

I blast through an entire cartridge of anion resin every 100 gallons... well water. Have not bought anion resin in about 3000 gallons of rodi.

So instead of worrying about throwing it out... don't..
Do you rinse the anion after the lye? How much did it take you to get to zero tds? I recharged mine and wasted just as much rodi to rinse it as I did to make it. Tips?

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We would probably only have to arrange a helicopter "accident" for one elite to offset all our tanks for eternity.

Now where's my Nobel Prize?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think the carbon footprint is of a Reef tank? Of which is a luxury for us all.
All the shipping of items back and forth much worst. For resin, I wouldn't think it is as bad as microbeads. A microbead is very tiny and made usually of different plastics. It can get out of light and into water sources has a higher mobility. Versus the resin mobility. Also tends to stick to things if it has functional groups. Will react with oxidizers in the environment. I would be more concerned with the biproducts. It can be more biodegraded just at a slow rate of something like less than 3% to 0% every 28 days without functional groups. I suppose neither is really good though. There are places however that will take waste material and recycle it, or like above regenerate it. That would be the best way to treat the planet if people are going to use these. Instead of just dumping it down a drain, or in the garbage.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back