Ep 13: The most stable ways to maintain Major/Minor/Trace elements in the tank? | BRS/WWC System

What's best for SPS dominant tanks?

• Total voters

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R's!

We're finally back on track with the BRS/WWC Hybrid System Series and this week it's all about how WWC, BRS and the community at large manage supplementing their tanks for Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium, as well as approaches for addressing Minor and Trace elements!

;Happy Get your popcorn ready and enjoy! :D

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good luck for the last year mixing BRS Na2CO3 for Alk at 381g/4L yielding a 0.90M solution and adding 19.1 mL of Fauna Marine trace bottle #3 and mixing BRS CaCl 529g/4L yielding also 0.90M solution and adding 6.6 mL of both Fauna Marine trace bottle #1, #2. These ratios are adjusted from the FM recommendation and so far my ICP has been with in spec for all trace elements, I also do a ~1% daily water change via my dose with Red Sea Pro salt. I only have to dose these two solutions and the Red Sea salt keeps my Mg ~1350 so its very simple (two Dos pumps)

https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/aquarium/auswertung-b/icp-oes/60401/

Granted my Iodine and Iron is low, I run a chaeto based fuge but more importantly nothing is accumulating to high levels.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! Now question.... you have this hose reel by your station... Did you just open it up and swap out the inside hose? Any issues with kinking? Anything you would change?

Capture.PNG

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R and BRS videos have been so valuable to this Newb!

Question; I've been using kalkwasser in my ATO's but would like to move up to 2-part on my current tank build. Do you start a new tank with 2-part, wait until after the cycle, or until the tank is more established?

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i currently use BRS soda ash and calcium with a cheap jeabo doser, about 60ml a day. is tropic marin part c trace elements needed in the same ratio? how does magnesium tie into this, i have it but never really dose it, i do water changes daily with coral sea pro and my mag doesnt really change much.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! Now question.... you have this hose reel by your station... Did you just open it up and swap out the inside hose? Any issues with kinking? Anything you would change?

These Flowmaster hosereels have been awesome! We didn't alter the suction/drain hose reel, but this fresh saltwater delivery one we did. Actually @Zack@BRS I believe tore this one apart personally. So I'll ask him to chime in here.

I did take one apart after it was clogged from someone sucking up sand and chaeto.... It is a (insert expletive here) to get back together, so much so to the point that we bought a new one because we just couldn't get the spring back in place. These are put together by machines, so difficult to get back to 100% after disassembling.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i currently use BRS soda ash and calcium with a cheap jeabo doser, about 60ml a day. is tropic marin part c trace elements needed in the same ratio? how does magnesium tie into this, i have it but never really dose it, i do water changes daily with coral sea pro and my mag doesnt really change much.

Tropic Marin C will be dosed at the same 60mL per day. It does contain Magnesium, so I assume that at the concentrations and being dosed daily, you may not need to supplement Mag further.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R and BRS videos have been so valuable to this Newb!\Question; I've been using kalkwasser in my ATO's but would like to move up to 2-part on my current tank build. Do you start a new tank with 2-part, wait until after the cycle, or until the tank is more established?

Easy answer, don't dose until there is a demand for it. There's really nothing to dose for until you have a tank that regularly consumes Alk/Ca.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These Flowmaster hosereels have been awesome! We didn't alter the suction/drain hose reel, but this fresh saltwater delivery one we did. Actually @Zack@BRS I believe tore this one apart personally. So I'll ask him to chime in here.

I did take one apart after it was clogged from someone sucking up sand and chaeto.... It is a (insert expletive here) to get back together, so much so to the point that we bought a new one because we just couldn't get the spring back in place. These are put together by machines, so difficult to get back to 100% after disassembling.
Thank you for the follow up. When he chimes in I'll see his thoughts on the swap out to the pvc hose.

I use a food grade hose now, but I could it up anytime i use it. Would be worth a reel working in that sense, but I don't want to break it and not be happy with it

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, really dumb question, Why doesn't BRS make a bulk pharma grade product comparable to Tropic Marin Part C?

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching this video I thought that Tropic Marin Part C would make up for depleted trace elements, but others are saying the Part C only stabilizes parts A and B, whatever that means - @randyBRS , can you clarify?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching this video I thought that Tropic Marin Part C would make up for depleted trace elements, but others are saying the Part C only stabilizes parts A and B, whatever that means - @randyBRS , can you clarify?

I think that @Lou Ekus from Tropic Marin is the most qualified for the best explanation of how the Balling Method works. Hopefully he can chime in here. :)

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin C will be dosed at the same 60mL per day. It does contain Magnesium, so I assume that at the concentrations and being dosed daily, you may not need to supplement Mag further.

Do you mix this at the 4 scoops per gallon concentration?

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was there ever a response to this? I'm looking to do something similar. Have a bad back and am unable to carry large buckets of water around anymore.

Back