Ep20: The Ultimate SPS Dominant Tank Setup Guide! | BRS/WWC System

Could you follow these steps and create a SPS dominant tank?

• Yes

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hellooooo Reefers!

I don't know about you all, but when I think of a SPS dominant there some key tanks that come to mind. At the top of that list is for sure the 500gal/900gal tanks at WWC and I would like nothing more than to create one of those in my office! (Watch for a build thread ;) )

So today in a total Recap of the entire BRS/WWC Hybrid System, Ryan gives a straight-to-the point layout of the last 4months of episodes which end up being a pretty thorough guide to how to create a SPS dominant tank! :)

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great!!!
Especially after a crash, I’m devastated

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are the hardest part for me. On a 240 gallon tank I’m doing 42 gallons every other week. Would this still be considered method or is it necessary to do 10% weekly rather than 20% every other week?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are the hardest part for me. On a 240 gallon tank I’m doing 42 gallons every other week. Would this still be considered method or is it necessary to do 10% weekly rather than 20% every other week?

I don't think that reefers would find failure if they followed this direct plan/method and as long as you have an approach that focuses on stability above all, this should be attainable by almost anyone. So if it is easier for you to consistently do 20% changes every other week versus 10% changes every week and that is your approach to stability, I wouldn't expect any less success either way. :)

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just do 10% weekly?

I personally have settled on 10% weekly because I feel it offers up nice a frequent refresh, if you will, while being small enough to not disturb things.

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just do 10% weekly?

I personally have settled on 10% weekly because I feel it offers up nice a frequent refresh, if you will, while being small enough to not disturb things.
For me it's mainly the energy of setting it all up for the water change. I can fill up my 44 gallon brute can and then spend an an hour in the afternoon changing it. It doesn't take much more time changing the 20% vs the 10%, but the process of setting it all up just makes me feel lazy. haha

In an effort to do this BRS method I will take a stab at more frequent/10% water changes. With the summer months, living near the beach it gets a little harder to do it weekly which is why I was thinking every other week is more realistic. Who knows, maybe the weekly changes will become easier once I get into a rhythm.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back