Epaulette shark in 65 gallon tank

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 gallon tank with a 5” threadfin snapper, 5” blue throat trigger, 1’ snowflake eel, 4” harlequin tusk, 3” bi color angel, and a 2” 3 striped damsel.

Could an Epaulette shark work in my tank?
I have the filtration to add a few more fish, and my parameters are all inside the normal range. The tank has about 80 pounds of live rock which came from two tanks that were setup for over 7 years, and the actual tank has been up and running for a year

If I could have an Epaulette shark in here, how long could I have it for?

If an Epaulette shark would not work, please tell me why.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A juvenile would probably be fine, but unless you're planning on upgrading tank size (significantly), it will outgrow a 65 gallon in under a year. I wouldn't advise it, myself.

Upvote 0

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah for sure not a shark and I would consider your tank already overstocked. You're going to need to upgrade the tank for the fish in there already.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a 65 gallon tank with a 5” threadfin snapper, 5” blue throat trigger, 1’ snowflake eel, 4” harlequin tusk, 3” bi color angel, and a 2” 3 striped damsel.

I have the filtration to add a few more fish, and my parameters are all inside the normal range. The tank has about 80 pounds of live rock which came from two tanks that were setup for over 7 years, and the actual tank has been up and running for a year

The current fish you have should be in larger than 65g and no way for a shark. They need a large bottom surface area which allows them plenty of room to swim around and Round or hexagon tanks work best, as the corners of a rectangular tank restricts the shark's swimming motion.
Sharks are carnivorous creatures that eat a lot of food and produce a lot of waste. Its important to have an effective filtration system to keep their water clean. Realize also that sharks are susceptible to bacterial and parasitical infections and rarely tolerate high nitrate levels.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Ks4726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. A shark in this tank will die. You don't have size requirement for it, nor the filtration requirements. It's a waste of money and its unhealthy for a fish that grows that large. Would you like to live in a shoe box? 2. Your snapper, tusk, and trigger will quickly out grow your current tank. 3. Research. 4. No you don't have the filtration to add more fish. Eels and snappers are notorious waste makers. You need a more than average filtration system.as those fish grow. 5. Get rid of the snapper unless you have honest plans for a 225 gallon at a bare minimum. And I suggest the tusk and trigger get a minimum of 125 gallons

Upvote 0

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not to mention that Epaulettes are the least active shark available (Excluding short tail nurse sharks) and you can not keep triggers/angelfish with them as they will nip their fins/eyes. Do a lot of research before even considering purchasing a shark.

Upvote 0

Sharkandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Needs a minimum 300 @ 12 inches. We used to have a breeder pair and they were 48 inches long!

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back