Epic Deltec Mod Thanks to the 3d Printing Wizardry of @projects with sam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I really do love my big monster Deltec TC4580 skimmer. I mean its the backbone of my main system and has been an amazing asset in my efforts to keep sps alive and growing over the years. But, and I mean this as politely as I can, the cup is ridiculously big! I mean too big to deal with, and way too big to clean without being a huge pain in the but and making a gigantic mess every time. Especially in the winter when I can't use the hose outside. I get that symmetry between the body and cup is nice, but this is just way too big in my opinion. "unnecessarily big" is how I believe I described it. I dreaded cleaning it every single time. First world problems I know, but hear me out.

It really is that big!
IMG_2761.jpeg

So, a few weeks back I'm looking at my skimmer and I'm thinking hmm........

7A09EC66-134E-4345-8140-4984324F7E6B.jpeg

Is there any way I could take one of my smaller collection cups and fit it to the 4580? My mind went through a number of very over complicated iterations of cutting gluing recutting etc till that light bulb finally went off. I thought gee, could a "bushing" be created to simply reduce the bayonet fitting on the skimmer to accept a smaller bayonet fitting? And if so, could this part be made using a 3d printer?

I then started to look for r2r members with any sort of 3d printing credentials, and fatefully stumbled upon @Projects with Sam.

Now let me just say that in the past, any time I've tried to collaborate or work with someone on any sort of project like this, it seems like it never really comes together very well. Between poor direction and vision on my part most likely, these projects are often pretty much of a headache.

So imagine my surprise and ultimate relief when about 30 minutes after I sent my initial email with a super crude description of what I was thinking and no pics at all, I was greeted to moving 3d video rendering of the abstract concept I had in my head. And it was almost perfect already!

Now the Deltec bayonet fitting is kind of complicated, with lots of strict spaces and margins and measurements and odd shapes and stuff. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy. But about three days after I scribbled some measurements on a working diagram, I had in my hand a prototype for this fitting I had dreamt up.

IMG_2600.jpeg

It wasn’t perfect but I was able to use it, totally worked. Not completely content, @Projects with Sam insisted we keep going and refine it further, which he did and absolutely nailed it on the second try.

I don’t what this to get so long that nobody finishes it. So I’ll just wrap it up with saying I was and am absolutely blown away by the skill and wizardry of this dude. Never before have I had someone just get and and really understand my abstract babbling on the level that he did. Then go on to produce so quickly.

If any of you ever have a need for a quirky or even a simple part that you think can possibly be made by 3d printing, or even if not, I very much encourage you to hit him up. Never before has a project like this gone so well for me.

Just wanted to say thanks again for your amazing help my friend. No more cursing while cleaning the skimmer!

Deltec TC4580 fitted with 3070 collection cup
Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 1.39.37 PM.png

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow thanks! It was really fun for me to figure out the wacky shape and make it happen! I am simply amazed at the size of that skimmer! Had to double-take on the measurements you sent over because I just couldn’t believe a 25cm skimmer neck. Glad I could help keeping those awesome sps corals alive!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back