Equal parts of BRS pharma?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dissolved 31g of soda ash into a cup of tank water and slowly added it into the sump.

Ive read that people need to dose equal parts of 2 part solutions. But this BRS 2 part of soda ash and calcium chloride should be dosed on an as needed basis, right?

Goal parameters:
Alk 12dkh
Calcium: 465

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk was 10.3 before dosing the soda ash.

Also, how long after dosing can I test?

And one more question: how can I make a maintenance dose once I have my goal parameters?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a perfect world of ionic balance, equal parts of alk and calc are needed. However, what throws a wrench into this mix is the salt you're using and the frequency and volume of water changes. I dose less calcium versus my alk dose because of this. Test and determine your tanks needs. It's that simple.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a perfect world of ionic balance, equal parts of alk and calc are needed. However, what throws a wrench into this mix is the salt you're using and the frequency and volume of water changes. I dose less calcium versus my alk dose because of this. Test and determine your tanks needs. It's that simple.
Every how long do you dose when you reach the levels you want?

This part is tricking me.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no rule that two parts should be dosed equally and reefers that spread this dont understand the process.

Rapidly growing SPS corals do consume alk and calcium at a pretty consistent ratio. This would lead you to believe you need to replenish them at a consistent ratio. The problem is that lots of other things consume alk biologically, often in binges, and reefers, especially beginners drastically over estimate how much calcium their half dozen frags in a 100gal tank is consuming. LPS and softies barely move calcium at all and water changes are often sufficient to replenish calcium.

So, dont make the mistake of mentally locking two parts together. Dose and test individually. As for the BRS video claiming high alk and calcium improves SPS growth....no thanks. Alk no higher than 10 for me and calcium beyond 400 start to deliver seriously diminishing returns.

dkeller22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start by testing the water every week (same day) and document the water parameters. See how fast calc and alk are being consumed. You can use the calculator on BRS's site to get an estimate on how much of each part to add. Do the math for a daily dose and start a 50% of what the calculator suggests just to be safe and keep testing at regular intervals. Adjust what you are adding until you get the levels you are looking for. I also agree that alk is safer at 9-10 dkh.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You first determine your need. You do this by first raising your levels to where you want them. Now wait 24 hours....you do want to test at about the same time everyday. If you only have a few corals, and specifically all hasn't dropped that much, wait a second day or even a third day. This number you come up with will determine your daily need. Obviously, if you tested on day two or day three, divide this number by 2 or 3, respectively, to determine daily use. Now start dosing that amount and test daily to adjust that dose. Again, testing about the same time everyday day.

I use dosing pumps and actually dose three times a day.

NauticalMiles1010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dissolved 31g of soda ash into a cup of tank water and slowly added it into the sump.

Ive read that people need to dose equal parts of 2 part solutions. But this BRS 2 part of soda ash and calcium chloride should be dosed on an as needed basis, right?

Goal parameters:
Alk 12dkh
Calcium: 4
i would be careful not dosing equal parts i used to does for my Nano 15 gall reef tank .5 ML of ALK and 1 ML of CAL and what this did was as my corals grow it makes it difficult to calculate so i would get used to dossing equal parts now.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every how long do you dose when you reach the levels you want?

This part is tricking me.
You will need to test at the same time each day over a number of days. (Carbonate alk will vary morning to afternoon)

You will need to determine your alkalinity consumption per day to determine your dosage requirements. I would wait atleast an hour before testing after you dose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that lots of other things consume alk biologically, often in binges, and reefers, especially beginners drastically over estimate how much calcium their half dozen frags in a 100gal tank is consuming. LPS and softies barely move calcium at all and water changes are often sufficient to replenish calcium.

I guess I'll just put this on auto-answer that I disagree. I am still waiting for you to post ANY biological process that consumes alkalinity and not calcium other than:

1. Ammonia conversion to nitrate (steady nitrate eliminates this issue as the consumption adds it back).

2. Use of a sulfur denitrator

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back