Equipment: Aquarium Tops Are a Necessity

Decat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried going with no top on one of my tanks, made it 6 months and then one of my Mocha Storm Clownfish was found on the floor in the morning..... Top went back on quickly. Since then I have witnessed many of my fish who are not "known to jump" hit the top of my tanks, so glad I have the tops on! Never trying topless again!

Todvod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my very first fish - a Midas blenny. The LFS said to get a lid. I was hoping to go lidless, but changed my mind and bought materials to build one. Before I finished the build, he jumped. Only had him 7 days.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use lids but I agree with what @Greybeard is trying to argue. Necessity/requirement isn't really the word to use for an optional accessory.

Everyone in here acting outraged about the lack of a cover being poor husbandry etc. I wonder if you'll be so adamant when judging your own (or others) practices (such as lack of quarantine of fish, coral, and inverts). Ich, velvet, and flukes are 1000x more deadly to fish than sky diving. It's easy to have morality when it's something easy and inexpensive right? As soon as it's time consuming and inconvenient it's a matter of choice or preference. ;)
I think many here would agree that the proper quarantine procedure for fish, coral and inverts is essential to good husbandry.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use lids but I agree with what @Greybeard is trying to argue. Necessity/requirement isn't really the word to use for an optional accessory.

It's only optional if you don't care about losing your fish... which most of us, I think, consider to be an irresponsible attitude.

Everyone in here acting outraged about the lack of a cover being poor husbandry etc. I wonder if you'll be so adamant when judging your own (or others) practices (such as lack of quarantine of fish, coral, and inverts). Ich, velvet, and flukes are 1000x more deadly to fish than sky diving.

Umm. I think skydiving is 100% fatal for fish. Your assertion that diseases are 1000x more deadly is nonsensical.

It's easy to have morality when it's something easy and inexpensive right? As soon as it's time consuming and inconvenient it's a matter of choice or preference. ;)

I don't know what's inconvenient about covering a tank. It can be relatively expensive, sure. But then, I don't know what in this hobby is not expensive.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's only optional if you don't care about losing your fish... which most of us, I think, consider to be an irresponsible attitude.
So is lack of quarantine, but the majority of people don't do it.

Umm. I think skydiving is 100% fatal for fish. Your assertion that diseases are 1000x more deadly is nonsensical.
In terms of mortality rate sure. But in sheer numbers this is nonsense. You think more people lose fish to lack of lids than to ich, velvet, flukes, etc?

I don't know what's inconvenient about covering a tank. It can be relatively expensive, sure. But then, I don't know what in this hobby is not expensive.
There is nothing inconvenient about covering a tank. That's the point. You're willing to say lids are a requirement because it's easy. I'm pointing out quarantine should absolutely be a requirement, but because it's time consuming and inconvenient all of the sudden it's personal choice or preference. The point is it's hypocrisy to act outraged about people not using lids but ignore the real issue with fish mortality in this hobby (which is orders of magnitude higher).

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Facts, please. I've seen nothing anywhere that supports your assertions.

I've never lost a fish to ich, velvet, flukes, etc. I did lose one to a lidless tank when I was younger and more careless. By your logic, then, I should be able to state that lidless tanks are some arbitrary order of magnitude more harmful than diseases (actually, infinitely so). But that would be a ridiculous assertion.

I have no idea how many R2R users do not quarantine new fish, so it's impossible to make any assumptions about this issue. If you have facts and numbers, please do post them.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Facts, please. I've seen nothing anywhere that supports your assertions.

I've never lost a fish to ich, velvet, flukes, etc. I did lose one to a lidless tank when I was younger and more careless. By your logic, then, I should be able to state that lidless tanks are some arbitrary order of magnitude more harmful than diseases (actually, infinitely so). But that would be a ridiculous assertion.

I have no idea how many R2R users do not quarantine new fish, so it's impossible to make any assumptions about this issue. If you have facts and numbers, please do post them.
Why do you keep trying to move the goal posts of my original post? I use lids. I think lids are the responsible thing to do. I also fully quarantine everything I put in my tank. I'm not trying to argue one is more important than the other. I'm saying if you're justifying lids based on the possibility of a fish jumping and how it's irresponsible not to have a lid, surely you also quarantine all you fish, coral, and inverts. Because to do otherwise would be irresponsible. Right?

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I'm not moving anybody's goalposts. I just think it's unfair to make baseless accusations. If you think you didn't do that, then you need to re-read your original post. Maybe it didn't read the way you intended.
;)

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree. I'm not moving anybody's goalposts. I just think it's unfair to make baseless accusations. If you think you didn't do that, then you need to re-read your original post. Maybe it didn't read the way you intended.
;)
Well I guess you're right. I just think the semantics of this topic don't really justify requiring data points to be relevant. It's fairly obvious disease (and fish on carpet) ultimately occur because of owner laziness or ignorance. My position in this thread and discussion was meant to be that there is a very significant 'head in the sand' approach to quarantine but those same people will call out others on poor husbandry when it's something like a lid. It's like if you told someone they were a bad parent because they let their kid run with scissors meanwhile you didn't vaccinate your own kids. Lol

mguili1947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tenji is pleased to present a series of exclusive articles for Reef2Reef members. We will be delving into the various aspects of reef keeping, focusing on tried and true methods that can be implemented by aquarists of all levels.

As a young aquarist working in a local fish store I had a 16” lionfish launch itself out of a tank during feeding time. I quickly placed the fish back into his home, and after a couple hours, the animal returned to normal behavior. However, that event changed my views on the potential for fishes to jump forever. How often do we see threads titled, “Which fish for open top aquariums?” The truth is that every fish has the potential to jump, even the frumpy frogfish. Think of a top as a seat belt for your fish. If you’re serious about keeping your fish friends thriving long term a top is not optional, it is a necessity.

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 10.34.45 AM.png

Choices for nice aquarium tops run far and wide nowadays, including some that even look great on rimless aquariums. Here are the basic options along with their pros and cons.

Glass Top.png

Glass/Acrylic Top Pros

· Readily available

· Oftentimes included with mass produced aquariums

· Affordable

· Keeps evaporation to a minimum

Glass/Acrylic Top Cons

· Water condenses which negatively effects light penetration

· Does not afford high levels of gas exchange

· Must be frequently cleaned

· Breakable (glass)

· Heavy (glass)

eggcrate top.jpg

Eggcrate/Light Diffuser Top Pros

· Readily available

· Easy to alter shape/size

· Affordable

Eggcrate/Light Diffuser Top Cons

· Many small reef fish can jump through holes

· Breakable

· Becomes brittle over time

· Best used as a temporary top

· Uneven light distribution (it is used to diffuse fluorescent lighting after all)

IMG_20180903_140953.jpg

Screen Top Pros

· Affords superior gas exchange

· Best light penetration option

· Rarely if ever requires cleaning

· Can be custom made to fit within rim of trim-less aquariums (looks beautiful)

· Capable of complimenting an aquarium rather than detracting

· DIY potential using store-bought material

Screen Top Cons

· Custom acrylic framed options can be expensive and have long lead times

· Screen can be fragile, but is easily replaced

· If screen hole not sized appropriately fish can get stuck

That’s our lowdown on tank top options. Of course, there are a few exceptions when it comes to aquariums with enclosed canopies, flip-up tops on all-in-one nano tanks, etc., but the fact remains that all fish have the potential to jump, so do them a favor and provide them with a safety net.
Tenji is pleased to present a series of exclusive articles for Reef2Reef members. We will be delving into the various aspects of reef keeping, focusing on tried and true methods that can be implemented by aquarists of all levels.

As a young aquarist working in a local fish store I had a 16” lionfish launch itself out of a tank during feeding time. I quickly placed the fish back into his home, and after a couple hours, the animal returned to normal behavior. However, that event changed my views on the potential for fishes to jump forever. How often do we see threads titled, “Which fish for open top aquariums?” The truth is that every fish has the potential to jump, even the frumpy frogfish. Think of a top as a seat belt for your fish. If you’re serious about keeping your fish friends thriving long term a top is not optional, it is a necessity.

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 10.34.45 AM.png

Choices for nice aquarium tops run far and wide nowadays, including some that even look great on rimless aquariums. Here are the basic options along with their pros and cons.

Glass Top.png

Glass/Acrylic Top Pros

· Readily available

· Oftentimes included with mass produced aquariums

· Affordable

· Keeps evaporation to a minimum

Glass/Acrylic Top Cons

· Water condenses which negatively effects light penetration

· Does not afford high levels of gas exchange

· Must be frequently cleaned

· Breakable (glass)

· Heavy (glass)

eggcrate top.jpg

Eggcrate/Light Diffuser Top Pros

· Readily available

· Easy to alter shape/size

· Affordable

Eggcrate/Light Diffuser Top Cons

· Many small reef fish can jump through holes

· Breakable

· Becomes brittle over time

· Best used as a temporary top

· Uneven light distribution (it is used to diffuse fluorescent lighting after all)

IMG_20180903_140953.jpg

Screen Top Pros

· Affords superior gas exchange

· Best light penetration option

· Rarely if ever requires cleaning

· Can be custom made to fit within rim of trim-less aquariums (looks beautiful)

· Capable of complimenting an aquarium rather than detracting

· DIY potential using store-bought material

Screen Top Cons

· Custom acrylic framed options can be expensive and have long lead times

· Screen can be fragile, but is easily replaced

· If screen hole not sized appropriately fish can get stuck

That’s our lowdown on tank top options. Of course, there are a few exceptions when it comes to aquariums with enclosed canopies, flip-up tops on all-in-one nano tanks, etc., but the fact remains that all fish have the potential to jump, so do them a favor and provide them with a safety net.

i ordered mine from safetop lids they cut out all around the frame no condensation

Acartia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a couple of my fish committed suicide by carpet, I went to Lowes and bought a DIY screen frame kit and some bird netting. I cut the frame to fit the top of the tank and attached a double (offset) layer of the bird netting. Plenty of gas exchange and I haven't had a suicide since. And the best part is that because it sits on the inner lip of the tank frame, you can't see it.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one fish that never jumps...seahorses! My seahorse tanks have never been covered nor have I ever heard of a jumping seahorse.

My other tank is covered as there are predominently blennies in it.

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An overflow down into a sump is a superb means of oxygenating a tank. As you noted with enough flow through the sump this is probably enough. Although heavily stocked tanks would still be better served with screen/mesh tops since glass/acrylic does not afford high levels of gas exchange. We use high-quality YSI meters to measure dissolved oxygen levels and its amazing how quickly it gets depleted in heavily stocked display aquariums.

I'd be intrigued to see the data on this and how a glass lid effects gas exchange. I've kept fresh water tanks with glass lids for years and at far higher stocking densities than any marine I've ever kept.......

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back