Equipment...are you a minimalist or hoarder?

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am probably most definitely a hoarder ;Facepalm I have just finished removing everything from my equipment closet. Now I am going to test everything and purge the stuff I do not need. Then I may conquer the stuff in the garage:eek:

So are you a minimalist or hoarder of equipment and supplies?

Do you keep broken things, like power heads, for parts? Or do they get tossed immediately?

What about outdated supplies like test kits, additives or fish food?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say minimalist. I keep extras of the necessities. Spare return pump and spare heater. Everything else i can go a day or two without while I wait for a replacement.

tptguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimalist to a fault. I recently got a spare return pump in case mine fails. One of my heaters failed and I had a single back up that I use to warm my water change storage. I plan on stocking up on a few essentials so I’m never in a bad position...likely just a few heaters.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am generally allergic to clutter, but I do have hoarding tendencies where reefing is concerned. I do a lot of DIY projects, and never know for sure what will come in handy .... so I keep just about everything. Then, every decade, I purge. Feel one coming on actually.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm shocked at all the minimalist replies already. I thought everyone has boxes of junk that have 2-3 useful things and a whole lot of relics.

I probably still have maxi jet parts from 12+ years ago. Moving long distance a few years back did thin my hoard. Also the last few tanks I setup I barely bought any plumbing parts, just used whatever I had lying around which lead to a few interesting but functional arrangements. Normally I try and downgrade things ie when I replace my heaters in display tanks the display ones become qt heaters and qt heaters become garbage.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek: I dont have spares of things I should! I have a few extra things laying around since I'm in the middle of an upgrade. Thanks for this, got me thinking I should at least have a spare return pump on hand.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hoarder. I have enough chemicals to restart my Pet store and backup heater, pump. socks, test kits, carbon and more

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am probably most definitely a hoarder ;Facepalm I have just finished removing everything from my equipment closet. Now I am going to test everything and purge the stuff I do not need. Then I may conquer the stuff in the garage:eek:

So are you a minimalist or hoarder of equipment and supplies?

Do you keep broken things, like power heads, for parts? Or do they get tossed immediately?

What about outdated supplies like test kits, additives or fish food?

I am a hoarder (I shove everything in a closet where, out of sight, out of mind), but not just of coral stuff. Everything has purpose still, right?

1574140275932.png

But seriously though: a certain someone keeps trying to get me to throw stuff out. I mean someday those extra heaters could pose a purpose (as backups), and the extra jug could be useful for mixing some reagent, and the old turbo is useful in case someone wants it on eBay or Craigslist, and who can't fix an LEDTV that doesn't turn on? We'll just put all those in the closet and worry about it later!!

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoarder... I thought minimalist at first but then remembered the half hall closet, 4 individual cabinets, and the right side is f the storage room that are all “fish” stuff..... and I don’t even wanna think about the attic!

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of everything that way I always have a backup. Some things I have backups for backups.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even know... I just got started In the hobby & purchased stuff that didn't work out; some performed poorly, were inelegant, didn't fit right or just ended up being crappy. So, I have a bunch of extra stuff.

I think @ steady state I'd be somewhere closer to minimalist... or so I'd like to believe.

Ridgeway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess a hoarder ?

In the barn i have around 10 spare tanks including a 3 tier frag system, a couple of IBC's, another 1000ltr barrel, about 200kgs of Marco rocks, spare everything and then some, old pumps from tanks in the 90's (they'll get used for something), enough consumables (salt, carbon, GFO and balling) for 1 year, loads of old light units, 200kgs or so of sand, glass panels from tanks that i've collected from junk yards, more plumbing parts than most LFS keep in stock and enough spare PSU's to keep me happy.....

It takes up about a double garage sized space so fairly minimalist

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it still works, I keep it. Never know when you might get the urge to start a new tank! Just started a 29 gallon freshwater tank for my nephew and all it cost was the substrate and fish!!

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a hoarder I have 2 spare tanks 125g and 180g, 6 extra power heads, 3 100w heaters even though I don't use heaters, tons of fittings including pvc, 2 regulators for calcium reactor, 3 return pumps, 2 - 5g pales of carbon, 3 dumps just built another one for the new 225g tank. The list just keeps going oh and 8 lights.

20191119_231213.jpg

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a hoarder I have 2 spare tanks 125g and 180g, 6 extra power heads, 3 100w heaters even though I don't use heaters, tons of fittings including pvc, 2 regulators for calcium reactor, 3 return pumps, 2 - 5g pales of carbon, 3 dumps just built another one for the new 225g tank. The list just keeps going oh and 8 lights.

20191119_231213.jpg
Idk how you do it. Id have everything set up that i could!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back