Equipment...are you a minimalist or hoarder?

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk how you do it. Id have everything set up that i could!
There is 3

20191113_000124.jpg

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a hoarder of nonessential stuff lol. Like, I have several things that I think I’ll have a use for (suction cups, anyone?) and I don’t. However I’ve learned when I toss something, dang it I really could have used it for this project!

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am probably most definitely a hoarder ;Facepalm I have just finished removing everything from my equipment closet. Now I am going to test everything and purge the stuff I do not need. Then I may conquer the stuff in the garage:eek:

So are you a minimalist or hoarder of equipment and supplies?

Do you keep broken things, like power heads, for parts? Or do they get tossed immediately?

What about outdated supplies like test kits, additives or fish food?

uhmmmm it depends, if it's something you don't find easily I will hold it for a while other wise I like to tossed everything out , I love to see my tank looks neat and nice.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am probably most definitely a hoarder ;Facepalm I have just finished removing everything from my equipment closet. Now I am going to test everything and purge the stuff I do not need. Then I may conquer the stuff in the garage:eek:

Do you keep broken things, like power heads, for parts? Or do they get tossed immediately?

Hope I'm a minimalist, on used up or out dated test kits, I do save vials,scoop spoons, etc... anything broken, throw out except cord. But do have 2 of each for emergency. Which I've had. Heeeee

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am absolutely a minimalist. Clutter and a lot of different equipment feels overwhelming and in my case, causes me to play and tinker. Stability in my reef has been much more important than the tinkering and adjusting. I eliminate the excess gear in order to work toward that stability.

U

User1

View Badges

Oh, aquarium stuff. I saw hoarder and was going to check the box YES.

I'm a data horder. 58 TB in my lab at home and bingo space. Black Friday sales will be scooping up another 6 12TB disks of reasonable. On topic with aquarium equipment, no. I mean maybe a little in that I've kept my Reef Angel and a few small things. But I usually think I'm going to use them down the road so will keep them. I bought a skimmer in 2000 and it supported a larger tank. After taking it down and boxing it up I actually pulled it out last year and using it on my 210 upgrade :D

So maybe a little but I don't think I really qualify in this case.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally cleaned the closet up some and threw away some stuff. And I have another bag to pass alone to other reefers. Still have some stuff in the garage, but at least it is sort of organized.
136BCF62-881C-477F-B06F-D34E17E1C53D.jpeg

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife would say I'm a hoarder but I don't know I might need that MH bulb that I changed out a little early at the 6 month mark even though I'm using leds.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m a hoarder of nonessential stuff lol. Like, I have several things that I think I’ll have a use for (suction cups, anyone?) and I don’t. However I’ve learned when I toss something, dang it I really could have used it for this project!
Exactly!! That's my issue too! I might need those magnets that I haven't used in 6 years on my next build...

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny this topic got brought up cause a week ago I had a problem with a brand new pH probe not working and I went to find an old pinpoint pH monitor I had in storage to confirm it was the probe and not the module. I could not find it and remembered I threw it away thinking I will never use this again. Of all the useless stuff I've kept and the one thing I could actually use I threw away. Turns out I found an old Ph probe in storage that I used to troubleshoot that it was indeed a bad probe.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm shocked at all the minimalist replies already. I thought everyone has boxes of junk that have 2-3 useful things and a whole lot of relics.

I probably still have maxi jet parts from 12+ years ago. Moving long distance a few years back did thin my hoard. Also the last few tanks I setup I barely bought any plumbing parts, just used whatever I had lying around which lead to a few interesting but functional arrangements. Normally I try and downgrade things ie when I replace my heaters in display tanks the display ones become qt heaters and qt heaters become garbage.
By Chance you got an old style mj400 impeller?? Lol the old style made in Italy type

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a minimalist, if you don't count the bins full of decent stuff that I plan to sell tomorrow. To bad tomorrow never seems to come.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back