Equipment failures - unlucky or to be expected?

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to saltwater but have already experienced more equipment failures in 2 weeks than years of freshwater fish keeping. So far I’ve had an ATO float that was defective out of the box, reef90 power supplies overheating and this morning a rattling powerhead. Oh and my original return pump was supplied with all the wrong fittings. Is this sort of thing normal in this hobby or am I just unlucky? Makes it a very expensive hobby to say the least! Feel free to share your experiences so I know I’m not alone!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unlucky. Are these all new items? There is a known field issue with Red Sea 90 power supplies. I
Rattling power head...... check impeller housing and for possible missing rubber bushing on the shaft end

Dexter_SA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feel your pain brother....in my case i keep losing jebao wvemakers. Last week i lost a rw20. Lasted maybe two years. Switched it to feed mode as i usually do. And just never came back on again. im now done buying jebao pumps. will look for something cheap and just start using them

bala murugan 00500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for your problems. the saltwater hobby is very challenging when compared to freshwater.
while I started this hobby, I will purchase everything that I see in this hobby, those most of them won't survive so long.
in every mistake, I learned a lot. in this hobby, nothing will work for all. every reef tank is different. there no formula which works for everyone. u have to find what suitable for u. take your time to explore the hobby. SLOW AND STEADY

U can wast a lot of money on this hobby. before doing anything feel free to ask other hobbyists what to do. IN R2R every one will help. SO don't worry, U are not alone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i feel your pain brother....in my case i keep losing jebao wvemakers. Last week i lost a rw20. Lasted maybe two years. Switched it to feed mode as i usually do. And just never came back on again. im now done buying jebao pumps. will look for something cheap and just start using them
Getting common. You must clean them often.
Koralias are good units as is sicce and Tunze

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think saltwater equipment is necessarily more failure prone than FW - just that a reef tank is inherently more complex thus more potential points of failure. All mechanical equipment does eventually fail; maybe not on day 1 though LOL.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%

Back