Equipment I wish I had never purchased

Fangz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regret deeply purchasing specific pieces of hardware for my reef tanks. I started a Saltwater aquarium just over a year ago and since then now have several tanks operating.

My first regret is the Neptune Apex Auto Top off kit V2.0

This is an absolute pile of overpriced rubbish! I got it because they advertised you can use it without an Apex controller. The issue is the alarm goes off for no apparent reason at non regular intervals (about 2 times per week). Once I pull the power and put it back in the beeping stops (and it doesnt stop until you do this). There is a reset on it which I have used and it will do the same thing. It seems to do it even more if you refill it. You cant see why the alarm is going off unless you have an Apex. It costs about 3 times as much as other Auto top off units and the product quality is equal or inferior to competitors products. It has been suggested that there is a firmware update for it - the catch being you need an Apex controller to do it.

My second regret is the Seneye Reef Sensor.

This unit requires a monthly fee to monitor ph and ammonia. My ph swings all the time and my house is well insulated due to large weather variations (hot in the summer, cold in the winter) and bringing in outside air to the tank is not an option. Monitoring ph and ammonia is arguably useless - ammonia once a tank is established should stay around 0 and ph has been suggested to be less important than stable dkH which this doesnt monitor. The water low sensor and temperature sensor are still usable but there are better options to use for this. Also, you need a windows computer to run it to get the cloud features or you can pay for an expensive wifi unit. The linux option doesnt seem to work well anymore and this product does not appear to be maintained by the manufacturer (software updates). The unit does come with a light sensor which can be useful but I have never used it.

My third regret is the Red Sea ReefWave 45.

The problems started when trying to connect to my wireless network. The interface on the app is absolute rubbish. I did end up having to buy an additional network wifi router to support the device even though I had plenty of signal. The physical controller it comes with is also not simple to use. With the buttons and knobs on the device it should have been really easy to use - clearly this was not tested on real people before they sold this. The device was always poor when it came to water movement and within 6 months the device has failed. I can see the propeller moving but there is no water movement at all. I have yet to contact support for this device but replaced it with an IceCap Gyre 4k at less than half the cost. The new device has far more power than the ReefWave ever did and although programming it was a bit quirky, it runs extremely well once setup.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex and DOS. I have Apex classic and it never connected to my wifi extender correctly. I hard wired it to set it up initially and never went back online. I paid so much money for nothing. Now it would just restart randomly throughout the day. I hate how DOS requires Apex so now that Apex is dead, so is DOS.

I replaced the Apex with a smart wifi power strip and inkbird. It did everything Apex did for me before for $60 vs the almost $1k I spent on Apex.

There is really no point to Apex anymore. All the new equipments come with their own controllers and apps. Apex is absolutely useless unless you buy into all their other modules. And once you are invested, you are tied to them forever. They are the Apple of reefing.

I will never ever invest in anything Neptune ever again.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex and DOS. I have Apex classic and it never connected to my wifi extender correctly. I hard wired it to set it up initially and never went back online. I paid so much money for nothing. Now it would just restart randomly throughout the day. I hate how DOS requires Apex so now that Apex is dead, so is DOS.

I replaced the Apex with a smart wifi power strip and inkbird. It did everything Apex did for me before for $60 vs the almost $1k I spent on Apex.

There is really no point to Apex anymore. All the new equipments come with their own controllers and apps. Apex is absolutely useless unless you buy into all their other modules. And once you are invested, you are tied to them forever. They are the Apple of reefing.

I will never ever invest in anything Neptune ever again.
I agree! My tank is at their mercy now. Unlike apple though, the construction and aesthetics are not on par with the prices either.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot believe the ridiculous pile of reject equipment I have after only two years in the hobby. It's starting to get hard to hide it all. Pumps (omg all the pumps), lights, reactors, lotions and potions. It's honestly a bit embarrassing. I'll second your Seneye regret, though. I suppose I still like it as a par meter but I think if I'd known that was all I'd use it for I would have gone with something else.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still like my ReefWave45s - they work awesome!
So do I. I agree WiFi connectivity is painful but to me, it’s Ron popiel. Set it and forget it

now the Red Sea leds..they are on older WiFi bands and bring my home WiFi to a crawl

costaricareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot believe the ridiculous pile of reject equipment I have after only two years in the hobby. It's starting to get hard to hide it all. Pumps (omg all the pumps), lights, reactors, lotions and potions. It's honestly a bit embarrassing. I'll second your Seneye regret, though. I suppose I still like it as a par meter but I think if I'd known that was all I'd use it for I would have gone with something else.
"lotions and potions" You said it! Funny!

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only equipment I actually regret is the Flipper nano magnet. It's absolute trash.

The blade being like 2inches long only has about half an inch of contact with the glass. The magnet itself is super weak, so it takes multiple passes on the same spot to scrape even the softest of film algae.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back