Equipment needed to setup a 48x24x10 frag tank

dannylez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.

I recently got a used acrylic tank 48x24x10 with 2 corners drilled (1 3/4") in each for $120 which I thought was a good price. I'm going to be using it as a frag tank for zoas, palsy, other soft corals and LPS.

1. What would be the best size and type of sump for this size tank (approx 50 gallons)?
2. what size pump would i need?
3. what additional equipment would you recommend (skimmers, reactors, etc.)
4. For lighting, it was recommended to get HO T5s for growth with LED strips to bring out the colors . Would this be adequate?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to screw this up and I'm relatively new to the hobby.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
:squigglemouth::ear:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1- As big a sump as you could fit where ever your going to be placing the tank, the bigger, the cleaner your water will be.
#2- for a 50g tank, for frags, you need flow, I'd go with 800gph to 1200gph in powerheads
#3- Heater, Skimmer rated for over 100g, calcium reactor, GFO reactor, unless your going to dose Lanthanum, doser for Mag and Alk
#4- T5 HO with LED sups will do nicely.
#5- Either timers for your equipment or a Reef Controller for all the things your going to add, to make it fully automated.

OP
OP
D

dannylez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48x24x10 frag tank

Thanks for all the info. This will be a great start on what I will need to buy.

I'm going to be building the stand so I can plan ahead if I can select the sump first.

I do have more questions if you don't mind. I'm sure I will have tons more as my build progresses.

1. being it's only a 10" tank what wattage and how many T5s should I get and what height above the water surface?
2. what type of white and actinic bulbs?
3. There are different types of sumps. is Any particular type better than another?
4. the tank is only going to have eggcrate - no sand no rock. is a refugium recommended as part of the sump?
5. should I have 1 or 2 powerheads (800-1200 each).
6. what about the return pump in the sump. what size would you recommend?

Are there any particular brands that you would recommend for any of the equipment?

Once again, thanks for all your help. it's greatly appreciated.
Dan:bigsmile:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still go with a 4 lamp unit with the lights, 54watts. You'll be able to go 8-12" above the tank, if not a bit more for hanging.
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/new-saltwater-reef-aquariums-post-here/163038-lighting.html
As for the sump/fuge, with what your doing, you want enough space for your equipment to be in there. Possibly a Algae Turf Scrubber, or some live rock and macro algae to scrub the water clean.
With a 48" tank, I'd use a couple of either 400gph or 500gph powerheads for movement.
The return pump gph would be up to you, you should run anywhere from 3-6 times your dt volume, so there are quite a few options for you to do there.
Quiet One Pumps
Ocean Runner
Eheim
Reeflo
Dart
SCA Skimmer
Reef Octopus Skimmer
SWC Skimmer
Bubble Magus Skimmer
Banshee Skimmer
Any of those rated at 100-150g tank would do ya nicely.
Reef Keeper Controller
Apex Controller
Korallin Calcium Reactor
Two Little Fishes GFO & Carbon Reactors

OP
OP
D

dannylez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks again for all the info. This is a great help.

This is going to be my first big build (big for me) and i want to do it right. I'm 68 and this is my new hobby. I hope to eventually may be sell or swap them locally. I hope I can get the colors that I see. I don't know if I over did it but I bought the Red Sea Reef foundation program stuff (test kits and supplements) which covers everything from the reef to water to coral health and color enhancement. I hope I didn't waste my money. Being a beginner I feel that any tools I get now will only help me later.

Thanks again.
Dan
i

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back