Equipment Recommendations to setup my 1st Mixed Reef (120 gal.)??

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R Fam! I figured it was time for another post as I recently acquired my 1st SW setup over the weekend and have so many questions related to what gear I need to buy. What would be the best budget friendly gear I can purchase to setup a successful Mixed Reef? Do I need an oversized skimmer if I expect a high bio load? Is it better to setup a refugium, buy an algae scrubber or just toss some bio media in the sump? Do I buy several wave makers or will 2 create a good enough flow for LPS & the eventual SPS? When do I add a UV sterilizer? Is it necessary to have a dosing system for the more low-maintenance corals or is hand dosing fine? Do I mix my own saltwater or drive 20+ mins to the LFS to buy it? I'm completely new to this addiction so I could use all the advice I can get!!

(I made a list of equipment after doing some research on here and the BRS Youtube channel; Lmk if these would be okay or if you have other recommendations)

Jebao DCP 13,000 Return Pump
AquaMaxx FC-120 Skimmer
2 Viper Spectra 165 Watt LEDs
2 Jebao SOW-15 Wave Makers
Hygger 800 Watt Heater
LiquaGen 5 Stage RODI

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Adam Houston congrats on the 120 and for having the foresight to ask questions!

I have a 120 as my first SW tank and it’s been up for about two years. Biggest tip is that you don’t need everything today, and what you need will change over time. Here are some things I’ve learned

1. Plumb everything like you’ll be taking it out tomorrow. Make sure you have unions set up so you can change your plumbing layout without a lot of frustration. Your UV is a great example. Might need one tomorrow but not today. Also if you replace your return pump etc

2. If you choose mechanical filtration I would go fleece over socks from the beginning.

3. Get the right size equipment from the start. But that doesn’t mean you need the best from day one. I had an upgrade path where things that were easy to change I either waited (Doser, ATO) or upgraded later (lights)

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao DCP 13,000 Return Pump This pump is probably over kill 8-10k is sufficient.
AquaMaxx FC-120 Skimmer I would pick a skimmer that is a little bigger and has a dc pump or at least bigger. Nyos is pretty good.
2 Viper Spectra 165 Watt LEDs These will work just fine. Ugly but just fine
2 Jebao SOW-15 Wave Makers You need bigger wave makers like Nero-5s or gyres may be best. Jebao WM are a bit loud fyi.
Hygger 800 Watt Heater Get two 500 watt heaters and hook them up to an inkbird.
LiquaGen 5 Stage RODI I would get the BRS one.

I would wait on the other things. Get them later. Get the dosing pump after you add corals. Add the uv when funds are available (you can just loop this into your sump using a small Jebao pump. Buy salt and if its onsale buy a lot of it.

OP
OP
Adam Houston

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Adam Houston congrats on the 120 and for having the foresight to ask questions!

I have a 120 as my first SW tank and it’s been up for about two years. Biggest tip is that you don’t need everything today, and what you need will change over time. Here are some things I’ve learned

1. Plumb everything like you’ll be taking it out tomorrow. Make sure you have unions set up so you can change your plumbing layout without a lot of frustration. Your UV is a great example. Might need one tomorrow but not today. Also if you replace your return pump etc

2. If you choose mechanical filtration I would go fleece over socks from the beginning.

3. Get the right size equipment from the start. But that doesn’t mean you need the best from day one. I had an upgrade path where things that were easy to change I either waited (Doser, ATO) or upgraded later (lights)
Glad to get some advice from another 120 reefer, thanks man! I will keep those pointers in mind. I totally forgot about an ATO…my eshopps sump is quite large so idk if I will have room in the stand but I def want to add a UV eventually. The plumbing looks pretty good…3 drains with 1 return line that has an optional split off to branch into another return line. My knowledge of sumps and plumbing is newb level but it also looks like there is a manifold to add the UV later.

OP
OP
Adam Houston

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao DCP 13,000 Return Pump This pump is probably over kill 8-10k is sufficient.
AquaMaxx FC-120 Skimmer I would pick a skimmer that is a little bigger and has a dc pump or at least bigger. Nyos is pretty good.
2 Viper Spectra 165 Watt LEDs These will work just fine. Ugly but just fine
2 Jebao SOW-15 Wave Makers You need bigger wave makers like Nero-5s or gyres may be best. Jebao WM are a bit loud fyi.
Hygger 800 Watt Heater Get two 500 watt heaters and hook them up to an inkbird.
LiquaGen 5 Stage RODI I would get the BRS one.

I would wait on the other things. Get them later. Get the dosing pump after you add corals. Add the uv when funds are available (you can just loop this into your sump using a small Jebao pump. Buy salt and if its onsale buy a lot of it.
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely look into the other skimmer, wave makers & inkbird you mentioned. Just glad I have a full vented canopy to hide those black box lights because I’m not a fan of seeing hanging lights Lol is the Instant Ocean salt good enough quality to start with? I imagine I will eventually be doing 10% weekly water changes and will most likely have to setup a mixing station in my garage or laundry room.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely look into the other skimmer, wave makers & inkbird you mentioned. Just glad I have a full vented canopy to hide those black box lights because I’m not a fan of seeing hanging lights Lol is the Instant Ocean salt good enough quality to start with? I imagine I will eventually be doing 10% weekly water changes and will most likely have to setup a mixing station in my garage or laundry room.
I and thousands of others have been using and continue to use it.

I use it because its cheap and readily available.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back