Equipment review for a 10g sump build I have planned. + Sump Review.

Rilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on adding a 10g sump to my 20L reef. Here's the details on the equipment. Thoughts on the equipment? anything I should swap out? The one restriction I have is budget.

I need the prices to be reasonable for example the protein skimmer is ~60$ and I can't go for one that is $100 unless I can sacrifice the price on other equipment to make up for it.

Here is the equipment list.
For a simple diy sump setup this is all I think that is necessary. Thoughts on the equipment? Recommendations?
Here is the build I plan on doing.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any chance that you could upgrade to a 20g sump and still stay in budget. Based on my experience, I think you’ll get frustrated with a 10g sump for a 20g main tank. Good luck!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance that you could upgrade to a 20g sump and still stay in budget. Based on my experience, I think you’ll get frustrated with a 10g sump for a 20g main tank. Good luck!

I agree. I'd go with a 20 long. Pricing is close and you will have more room to do more in it. My 20 long sump has a live rock chamber, refugium and return chamber. It works well.

OP
OP
Rilo

Rilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can’t the stand I’ll have the sump in can only house a 10g

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can’t the stand I’ll have the sump in can only house a 10g

I understand. You will need to pay extra attention to your max fill line and min water line, because the water level can change quickly in a 10g sump. Once you see if it is an issue for you then you may want to upgrade your stand and sump at some point. Good luck!

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a heavily stocked tank? If not, you can do without the skimmer. While skimmers are nice, they are not a necessity and you could probably get better nutrient transport using a steady water change schedule and having enough media for a complete cycle. I would imagine one marine pure block would be more than enough for the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back