Equipment Rooms, Closets and Spaces....You know you want one!

It is a reefers dream to have a dedicated "room" or "space" for all the aquarium gear!

• TRUE

Votes: 1,099 94.5%
  • FALSE

Votes: 64 5.5%

• Total voters

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep wanting to build a room behind my tank. Just put in a door and build. Hubby says no. I am getting to old to be carrying up water from the basement where I currently keep my supplies.

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Converted a closet....

20180402_160542 (2).jpg
20180402_160559 (2).jpg

billandwende

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some mistakes you made or things you wish you would have done when building in your dedicated tank room?
Size matters. Whatever you think the perfect size room is, you need to double it. Now that you have your perfect size, double it again. And now that you finally have your perfect size, double it. I built my room as big as space constraint would allow. I should have relocated a window in my living room and extended the house a bit. come to think of it there is an empty Toys r Us that I could have moved into.

Why I didn't add a sink is beyond me.

Here is a list of things I did correctly. Yes it's a short list.

2 dedicated 20 amp circuits

used slip resistant waterproof deck coating to cover everything wood. (mostly the floor)

2 inch aluminum edge surrounding inside of room. This allows about 60 gallons of water on the floor before flooding into house. (Ive accidentally tested this and it works fine)

3 inch drain in floor. (this also works)

plumbing for hot and cold water (hot is used for heating of tank via heat exchange)

added some serious sub framing to carry the weight.

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I save the empty boxes incase I want to sell something.
D5483543-DEC2-4470-BC89-6CD50EB27D10.jpeg

I was going to start a thread and see how many other people do this. They do take up a lot of room but wonder if people would rather buy if it has the original box

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be one of the few people who would not want an equipment room. Well at least not yet! I guess that may change. The only thing I do wish I had was faucet in my garage!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we were looking for our house my #1 box to check was a room I could have just for my aquarium stuff. I would have preferred it to be on the other side of the wall my tank would be on but that just didn't turn out to be possible. I do have my mixing station plumbed through the wall and can do water changes with flexible 1" clear tubing...no carrying, no rolling a Brute. Forgive the mess, a clean up is coming up very soon.

Back left generator, storage for multiple TTM setups...plus my older deer mounts.
FR1.jpg

Mixing station...can see the plumbing to the left headed for the man cave.
FR2.jpg

RO/DI, sink, refrig/freezer
FR4.jpg

Three cycled QT's, two for observation, one for copper or CP treatment.
FR5.jpg

Man cave....fish room is on the other side of the "bar room"
FR6.jpg

Rest of the man cave. Watching the Packers-Bears
FR7.jpg

My seat, nano tank.
FR8.jpg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to start a thread and see how many other people do this. They do take up a lot of room but wonder if people would rather buy if it has the original box
@Raptor72 you'd be surprised how much easier it is to sell something used if you have the original box and the user guide and all.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife thought I was the only one who did this!
@h2oh2o haha if I know I'm going to keep something I give the box to my dad who's an eBayaholic. He just loves shipping out his collectibles and little antiques in fancy reef boxes!

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish room is a must for any 'hardcore reefer'. Perhaps I should say taking up a whole room in your house makes you 'hardcore'. Next house I buy that will be #1 criteria on the list. A giant in wall tank, big room behind, concrete floor with drains, sinks, washing stations, QT and frag tanks, lots of shelves, even a dedicated washing machine for the filter socks. Climate control of the room (as opposed to the tank), exhaust fans to reduce condensation, no light spill into the room, no skimmate smell in the house - oh all my problems would go away and life would be great!

Mr Saltwater tank has done some great youtubes on customers fish rooms

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back