Equipment Rooms, Closets and Spaces....You know you want one!

It is a reefers dream to have a dedicated "room" or "space" for all the aquarium gear!

• TRUE

Votes: 1,099 94.5%
  • FALSE

Votes: 64 5.5%

• Total voters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is mine, I try to do at least a little something every other night to improve it. 380 gallon display directly above the jack posts upstairs.
B2AA8928-6FE0-4137-918E-BE272AE985CF.jpeg
A2911A91-E00B-4482-983E-1269EF064E3F.jpeg
Holy cow!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When we were looking for our house my #1 box to check was a room I could have just for my aquarium stuff. I would have preferred it to be on the other side of the wall my tank would be on but that just didn't turn out to be possible. I do have my mixing station plumbed through the wall and can do water changes with flexible 1" clear tubing...no carrying, no rolling a Brute. Forgive the mess, a clean up is coming up very soon.

Back left generator, storage for multiple TTM setups...plus my older deer mounts.
FR1.jpg

Mixing station...can see the plumbing to the left headed for the man cave.
FR2.jpg

RO/DI, sink, refrig/freezer
FR4.jpg

Three cycled QT's, two for observation, one for copper or CP treatment.
FR5.jpg

Man cave....fish room is on the other side of the "bar room"
FR6.jpg

Rest of the man cave. Watching the Packers-Bears
FR7.jpg

My seat, nano tank.
FR8.jpg
What a room!!!! Would be calling in sick once a week !!

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My equipment room is not air conditioned so I don’t keep a sump in there. I keep washer, dryer for fish towels, refrigerator for food, apex and dosing ddr, calcium reactor and 50lb ci2 tank, extra rodi filters, rodi unit, chiller, sink with hot and cold water, 5 gallon canister rack for daily water changes and some extra spare equipment. My sump is under my tank and my frag tank, plumbed into my sump is in an air conditioned office. A use of thumb is to partition based on your needs. I have a small, and I mean small, work space for fragging near my frag tank. My electrical is in the equipment room but, I have plenty above the display canopy.

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dream?....I’d say requirement!
Seriously feel lucky to have complete run of my basement for my sump room, it makes everyone happier! I can slop around water, run mixing pumps, brute cans full of ro and salt, basically have all the ‘guts’ of the system out of site, and let family (wife) and friends think all the magic is happening in the displays they can see on the main floor!

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sump is under my tank,and RODI is outside on the roof .My mixing station is in a storeroom on the roof and is connected to my totank through a piping system that runs through the through the walls to my tank,my ATO tank is also in the storeroom connected by a 5/16" pipe to a mechanical float switch in my sump.All my electrical equipment is controlled from my workshop one floor up,the controllers for the lights pumps and so fourth also sit there.

20190906_105716.jpg 20190906_105728.jpg 20190906_105816.jpg 20190906_105901.jpg 20190906_112217.jpg

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like the idea of the FRP, and its not that nasty white that turns yellow in kitchens! lol

The FRP boards (Fiberglass Reinforced Panels) I used on the walls was one of the best decisions I made. It was a little more expensive but in the long run I don’t have to worry about water damage or moisture to behind the equipment, I just wash it down with a wet towel and move on to the next thing!!!

The sink and humidity controlled exhaust fan in my opinion are the other “must haves” for a tank room.

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got back into this obsession last year after taking a 10+ year break from my last tank. The only way I was doing this build was if I had a dedicated tank room. After A LOT of planning and spending countless hours on R2R looking at members builds I started to work. I am a contractor so I was able to do 90% of this myself but I definitely learned a few things along the way.

Room1P.jpeg
Room2P.jpeg
Room6P.jpeg
Room7P.jpeg
fantastic build and attention to details!! A+

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I got back into this obsession last year after taking a 10+ year break from my last tank. The only way I was doing this build was if I had a dedicated tank room. After A LOT of planning and spending countless hours on R2R looking at members builds I started to work. I am a contractor so I was able to do 90% of this myself but I definitely learned a few things along the way.

Room1P.jpeg
Room2P.jpeg
Room6P.jpeg
Room7P.jpeg

Wow, great setup!!!

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here @JasonK84. I am working on mine as we speak. Framed, electric ran, insulated, drywalled hung, painted everything, floor sealed and Just finished hanging the FRP panels last weekend. This si about half the sapce I have built for the room. I took many pictures so i will have a build thread to share soon. Already have a few tanks that I have resealed so now need to buld a few stands and change out the temp lighting with fixtures. (although I am sure I wont have them on with the tank lights being on). Seems like its taking forever to get it completed but I am getting closer to getting some water moving in here.

FishRoomBuild.jpg

Last edited:

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we built our house, I ran all the aquarium drain and return lines under the floor in the slab. In AZ, they don’t build basements. The family room tank (250 gallon) is 45’ away from the fish room. The game room tank (130 gallon) is 25’ away. In the fish room (8’x10’) I had a concrete sump pit put into the floor. The pit is 48”Lx32”Wx48”D. It is about halfway full of water. I did put in a sink and a floor drain in the room. The builder also suggested that we make the floor one step down incase of a flood. When the garage floor was being coated, I had them coat the fish room floor also since the floor is concrete. When you watch the video the 105 gallon storage tank is above the sump pit. A matching storage tank is on the other side of the room for mixed SW. It’s still a work in progress.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here @JasonK84. I am working on mine as we speak. Framed, electric ran, insulated, drywalled hung, painted everything, floor sealed and Just finished hanging the FRP panels last weekend. This si about half the sapce I have built for the room. I took many pictures so i will have a build thread to share soon. Already have a few tanks that I have resealed so now need to buld a few stands and change out the temp lighting with fixtures. (although I am sure I wont have them on with the tank lights being on). Seems like its taking forever to get it completed but I am getting closer to getting some water moving in here.

FishRoomBuild.jpg
Nice! I’m running the plumbing this coming week then it’s back to insulation then drywall. Hook up the mini split and then some flooring and it’ll all be ready to start moving tanks in! Let me know when you get your build thread going and I’ll follow along.

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like to add a utility sink to my laundry room, it is where my mixing station is. The problem is there is no drain except the one for the washing machine. Has anyone ever tapped into that as the drain for a sink? Any issues to be aware of? Thanks!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back