Equipment Rooms, Closets and Spaces....You know you want one!

It is a reefers dream to have a dedicated "room" or "space" for all the aquarium gear!

• TRUE

Votes: 1,099 94.5%
  • FALSE

Votes: 64 5.5%

• Total voters

Shawn Blevins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7098D48E-165A-45AD-9EB3-CBC7EA59D365.jpeg
F0E3CDD4-B871-4255-861A-5032AEBC53FD.jpeg
3788DA84-1501-4963-B250-D8C6D9F56AEC.jpeg
B6D6225D-D9AA-4667-856D-6E367B4C0AF6.jpeg
7098D48E-165A-45AD-9EB3-CBC7EA59D365.jpeg

Try again

1A9C762B-116B-44E0-B31D-BEDA978DF2EB.jpeg D487BE6B-5FE1-4AF8-9141-40B501EF121E.jpeg 4445943B-FA64-4083-9C9C-9A1B3767B8E9.jpeg 19489A1B-BBF8-4CA6-AEC1-5A59D07293BB.jpeg

Greaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, skimmer gets rid of physical fish poop and mucus. Carbon doesn’t. Filter cup does, but then it’s a nutrient source if you don’t change it out enough. The fuge takes up nutrients released by the decaying matter.

Personally, I get rid of the bulk stuff with the skimmer, and deal with dissolved nutrients by feeding macro in the fuge.

Don’t run a reactor off the return. It’s a pain to dial the pump in and out if you want to keep the overflow constant.

I have a fuge manifold off my return and I can’t do anything in the fuge without it affecting my overflow. I’m about to rip it out and put the fuge on a 500gph pump out of the return chamber.

I run 2 reactors off a mini manifold with its own pump. Little $15 400gph thing. Far easier and less hassle to run it like that.

Makes sense I didn't consider how the media would impact the overflow over time maybe media bag in a baffle would be better. Great advice.

I may have different idea's for the system design than some because I'm particularly sensitive to the idea of fire and flooding when leaving a tank unattended with a tank sitter for 3-4 weeks at a time. Perhaps fire concerns are not well supported given I am acquiring higher end gear, but it still concerns me. In my mind, having less equipment / system design on the tank reduces some risk. Which goes against the idea of equipment closet / room in general.

Last edited:

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dedicated room, called "Backwoods Lab", aka shipping container. Instead of moonshine, we're trying to raise NPS softies. It's in the boonies. Hot as heck out there. .....heeeeee

That's awesome. Gotta do what you gotta do!!

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What field you in? I’m in gene therapy/therapeutic RNAi/theranostic imaging .

In my past life (pre-retirement) I was a CTO of a muti-national company---Responsible for several analytical and testing labs....Now I am a Reef Junkie...Grandpa...and an industry consultant----When I feel like it:)

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense I didn't consider how the media would impact the overflow over time maybe media bag in a baffle would be better. Great advice.

I may have different idea's for the system design than some because I'm particularly sensitive to the idea of fire and flooding when leaving a tank unattended with a tank sitter for 3-4 weeks at a time. Perhaps fire concerns are not well supported given I am acquiring higher end gear, but it still concerns me. In my mind, having less equipment / system design on the tank reduces some risk. Which goes against the idea of equipment closet / room in general.
Go with a small reactor and a power head. Like an mj600 or mj1200 or something. More efficient than a bag plus controllable

Personally think fire risk is low if you use good equipment and ‘drip loops’ etc.

Flooding is easily managed with redundant drains and proper placement of float switches and controller for example.

But regardless of how fool proof you make it, at some point it’s going to throw you a curve ball. I personally think having more space to spread things out makes it a little easier on a tank sitter, despite the initial ‘daunting’ feeling of seeing a big room full of equipment.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a dedicated basement fish/sump room for decades. Once you go 'separate' you never go back. Mine is CRAZY - not even remotely possible to have all this stuff under the stand :eek:. Would like to have a floor drain, just in case; but absent that …. slop sink.
7E0A4DC8-5D3D-47DB-B517-12B074577974.jpeg
43C46CE7-33B3-4BE7-AEE5-44814ADF9A4B.jpeg
CDA2D3A1-3B92-44FF-9260-87FB7A17512C.jpeg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dedicated room for equipment yes a dedicated room for the tank similar to a cinema room no. Why? I want my tank where I spend most of my time in the evening in my living room. I don't want a room where I have to go in just to view it. A dedicated equipment room would be nice with plenty of space in there.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty confident in what I am about to say and if I am wrong let me know. Here goes. It is a reefers dream to have a dedicated "room" or "space" for all the aquarium gear!

So how did I do? Yes or no? VOTE in the poll above! Anyway let's talk about it.

If you don't have a dedicated equipment room you'll want to stay tuned in!

So for me, on my latest dream build, a room behind my tank for the sump, equipment and more was a must. I had never had a dedicated space and I was finally going to get it done. But how do I do it and where do I start? Seems pretty simple until you really start getting into the details. I mean if you're going to put this much time, money and effort into something like this you don't want to make mistakes. But mistakes will be made!

Side note I'll be on a LIVE broadcast with Ryan of BRS in Minnesota coming up on Sept. 19th talking about some of this stuff!

For me I really "leaned" on information I could find here and the answers I got as the build progressed. As I gathered info I would formulate a plan and relay that to whoever needed to know! In the first phase it was the contractors who we're building in the room in the basement behind where the tank was going to be placed. But as I went along and finished certain phases I realized that I missed something or I messed something up. Educating myself and researching sure mitigated a lot of problems but inevitably there were going to be mistakes.

This is where you come in to either help educate others or learn for yourself. So I really want to hear from all of you that do have these dedicated spaces. Here goes the question.

What are some mistakes you made or things you wish you would have done when building in your dedicated tank room?

BONUS: Let's see your equipment rooms!

This was shortly after I got the tank set up and most everything done. Some things have changed and some things are still glaring at me in the photo. I'll post some of my mistakes as we go along!
unnamed.jpg

Wow buddy, it all looks awesome. Can you say what company made the R2R neon sign ? Way cool. I have quite the amount of neon clock's and a lot of "man cave", stuff to put in my garage when it's done.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow buddy, it all looks awesome. Can you say what company made the R2R neon sign ? Way cool. I have quite the amount of neon clock's and a lot of "man cave", stuff to put in my garage when it's done.
That sign was made by a member here- but I forget who... I wish I knew because I’ve wanted to pick his brains about fabbing it for months now.

I do know it’s in a build thread somewhere, tucked in real good.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my wife's dream... and she really hates all the frozen fish food I have in the freezer :D
True that!

I mean, I appreciate the water mix setup in the basement and having a few drawers in the big hutch thingie next to the fish tank. Still, my "dream" is for my wife to understand that the alkalinity checker does indeed belong on the dining room table next to the salt and pepper, where I don't have to dig for it ;)

Shawn Blevins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like to add a utility sink to my laundry room, it is where my mixing station is. The problem is there is no drain except the one for the washing machine. Has anyone ever tapped into that as the drain for a sink? Any issues to be aware of? Thanks!
Cut the Sheetrock back and installed a t with proper drain fittings for sink. Need to check and make sure a vent pipe is installed on you washing machine drain. Installed mine as stated above and been fine for years.

Back