Equipment Rooms, Closets and Spaces....You know you want one!

It is a reefers dream to have a dedicated "room" or "space" for all the aquarium gear!

• TRUE

Votes: 1,099 94.5%
  • FALSE

Votes: 64 5.5%

• Total voters

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New house means tank room and setup!!
69499147_485523241998769_2822739316810186752_n.jpg

Looking for advice from everyone on it, so any feedback in this thread would be amazing!!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Converted a closet that involved framing for built-in tank and moved the door to the side.

20190909_231131.jpg

Work of art!

A setup that should be imitated.

On a second thought - is there a walk through vid on YT?

Last edited:

Shawn Blevins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a big separate refugium that is not part of the sump in their fish room? I'd like to do that in mine but look for ideas.
Bought a used tank on Craigslist and it came with a lifereef sump and a separate 20gallon refugium you can check out the lifereef website has the refugium feeding directly into return area. Haven’t set it up yet. Design seems to be well thought out.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a big separate refugium that is not part of the sump in their fish room? I'd like to do that in mine but look for ideas.
I have plans for a 29g blacked out cryptic sponge Refugium that sucks fed from a small manifold pump from the sump, then overflows back via a couple bulkheads.

I also have a big 40 g section of my 125 sump that I’m midstream in converting from a chaeto fuge into a full planted macro fuge, but it’s part of the sump.

Any specific questions you have?

A50128FF-DD71-4170-8AAF-2D2A7A334768.jpeg
AD5A1981-14C5-483B-A42F-91840D1C66EA.jpeg

Laird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue i'm dealing with is I have two tanks following into my fish room but they are on the same floor as the fish room, so height and having enough slop to drain multiple tanks is my problem.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice-to-haves in my sump room would include some things you @revhtree discussed with Ryan and Randy which include;
Sink with a 'wet' counter, coated everything, floor drain ...
Also nice would be a freezer.

I completely rebuilt my sump room layout back in 2016, about 4 years after the initial build. It's an 8x10 room behind the tank. DT is not in-wall so I have the whole room for 'stuff'.
- A must for me was to run panduit on a control panel to separate AC from DC. This stopped erroneous controller faults.
- I installed surge protected outlets at the wall to protect anything sensitive.
- Having a separate GFCI for each wet appliance was also a must. Nothing like having your whole system go down because you only bought a couple outlets.
- Adding a removable plex splash guard now keeps all my electrical clean.
- Being able to gravity drain my newly mixed water directly into the sump made things so much easier and 1 less pump to deal with.
- Having RO storage at a decent height from the floor saves any pumping required.
- Tons of shelving is a must. The more the better.
- A beer fridge for, well, beer. Oh, and also some non-frozen fish products.
- I use a white board for project ideas and a wish list.
- I have speakers from my livingroom unit for music, and a 48" flatscreen TV so I don't miss anything.
- This room is also my office so having my PC right here is great for programming, keeping records, forums, pictures etc.
I have to use the kitchen for testing, mixing 2-part, making frozen food etc, but did I mention I have a flatscreen, and a beer fridge?

PA090013.JPG
PA110028.JPG

PA290073.JPG

PA290074.JPG

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice-to-haves in my sump room would include some things you @revhtree discussed with Ryan and Randy which include;

I completely rebuilt my sump room layout back in 2016, about 4 years after the initial build. It's an 8x10 room behind the tank. DT is not in-wall so I have the whole room for 'stuff'.
- A must for me was to run panduit on a control panel to separate AC from DC. This stopped erroneous controller faults.
- I installed surge protected outlets at the wall to protect anything sensitive.
- Having a separate GFCI for each wet appliance was also a must. Nothing like having your whole system go down because you only bought a couple outlets.
- Being able to gravity drain my newly mixed water directly into the sump made things so much easier and 1 less pump to deal with.
- Having RO storage at a decent height from the floor saves any pumping required.
- I have speakers from my livingroom unit for music, and a 48" flatscreen TV so I don't miss anything.
- This room is also my office so having my PC right here is great for programming, keeping records, forums, pictures etc.
I have to use the kitchen for testing, mixing 2-part, making frozen food etc, but did I mention I have a flatscreen, and a beer fridge?

PA090013.JPG
PA110028.JPG

PA290073.JPG

PA290074.JPG
Where did you get that helium filled floating barrel?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

PA090013.JPG
PA110028.JPG

PA290073.JPG

PA290074.JPG
Wow, Dedication !!!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were actually asking where I got them, they're from a local food production company here in BC. They contained a food additive which washed out with hot water. Made by Danisco in Indiana.
Lol, thanks. I was joking about the floating aspect.

I get mine off Craigslist for $10. Pickle storage. But they come in a bag, in the barrel, so it’s clean

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short of winning the lottery or my wife getting possessed by the spirit of Jacque Cousteau I will likely never “live the dream”. She tolerates the expense but draws the line at the expanse.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back