Equipment Wires In The Display: Do you really care?

Do you care about having equipment wires showing in your reef tank display?

• Very much

Votes: 350 37.4%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 471 50.3%
  • Not at all

Votes: 110 11.8%
  • Other

Votes: 5 0.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've always been one that hated the looks of equipment and wires in the tank. But lately more than ever I have come to realize with equipment limitations, coral placement, aquascape options and more things that it can become inevitable that you may have to have wires in the display. But who really cares?

1. Do you care about having equipment wires showing in your reef tank display?

2. What are some creative ways you've found to minimize wires showing?

Amazing reef by @Broadfield
29403166626_0f58264578_k.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all else the same, everyone would choose no wires over wires, but in reality, going completely wireless is not without it's drawbacks. Worth noting, if it's your own tank or one you frequently view, you tend to get used to something like wires and don't even notice them after awhile.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

not only wires, any and all equipment. I have never understood why people make beautiful scapes, have all this beautiful coral and fish and are ok with wires, pumps, heaters, overflows... showing. but to each their own as they say.

aquascape design hides everything. the thought that your scape can be too high in areas is complete non-sense.
my scape brakes the surface in one corner. (hides the return line. two of my bta's have taken up residence right at the surface.

rear upper left corner.: return line, gyre 230 vertical just below it.
rear right corner: heater and gyre 230 vertical
over flow right side glass

the scape
scape.jpg

standing in front of the tank (2020)
052120.jpg

from the fish room

1201B.jpg

from where I sit most nights
010221.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not compulsively so - but I don't like them - I only have them attached to my gyres on each side of the tank - so they are barely visible

Buying equipment that does not require wires in the tank (i.e. one advantage of having a sump) - have a background on the tank - so that wires going down the back are not seen. Anchor the wires to the edge of the tank. Use coral, etc to hide them. I prefer a black background (in a no sump tank) - because black wires are less visible as well.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provided it is ‘black wires’ on a ‘black tank background,’ it doesn’t bother me as much as it otherwise would. But like most people, I would still prefer to avoid it.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
08 11 2020.jpg

I can't stand wires in the tank!!! I had a 29 gallon and it was a visual mess because of heater, power head, pump etc CORDS!! when I started building this tank, I wanted it to be clean and cordless thus the MP 40 and 10! I have even let the OCD get out of hand and the cords in the sump area are hidden away nice and neat, its amazing what the right choice of colors will do!!!

but to answer your question, Yes I really do care haha

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got into the hobby I was surprised by how many wires there were on a running tank, and didn't like them. My girlfriend (now wife) hated all of the wires in the tank. as the years go on, I've just accepted them and gotten used to them. Not to say I like them, but they don't bother me any more. I just put a canopy on my display and keep powerheads near the top and it's not a big deal. open top would be a different story I suspect.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything that can go in the sump does go in the sump. But a few cords in the tank for the wave makers is unavoidable. Painting the background black and placing the pumps in the corners goes a long way toward making the dissapear

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But a few cords in the tank for the wave makers is unavoidable.
Get an eco tech Vortech powerhead and you can avoid it. The 'motor' sits outside the tank and only the fan part is inside. The rotor and stator are magnetically coupled through the glass. They're powerful, move a lot of water and can be programmed to make waves, but even the smallest one is $300, so they're not cheap. And if you have a background you don't even see the motor or wire behind the tank. All you see is the small 'wetside' of the pump.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an eco tech Vortech powerhead and you can avoid it. The 'motor' sits outside the tank and only the fan part is inside. The rotor and stator are magnetically coupled through the glass. They're powerful, move a lot of water and can be programmed to make waves, but even the smallest one is $300, so they're not cheap. And if you have a background you don't even see the motor or wire behind the tank. All you see is the small 'wetside' of the pump.
And more importantly they remove an electrical component from your tank.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only wires I generally have in my tanks is the powerhead. I like the Nero because it has a sleek looking wire and the pump has an all around slim profile. I prefer the vortechs because of the fact there is no wire but then you deal with the driver and wire on the outside of the tank. So I guess yes I care about wires in the tank but as long as my livestock is happy and the tank looks presentable I’m happy

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer no wires, but with a basement sump, a closed loop recirculating pump would be way more plumbing than I would care to bother with. I suppose I could do something under my tank, but another problem ls the bottom of my tank is tempered glass, so I can’t drill it, never mind the logistics of emptying 180 gallons of water.

So wires it is....

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would care, and I even used to care. Unless you have a minimalist aquascape the cords attract almost no attention. The coral and fish distract from the cords on the side and/or back of the tank. Complete non issue for me now. I bet most people who look at my tank don't even notice the gyres, let alone their cords.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran both wireless and wired, even ran some big ol Sicce AC Voyager pumps in my RSR 170 for a while. Run Tunze Turbelle stream now and even have a temp probe in display. One thing I found is that my eye only sees corals and fish after a few days or less. The Voyagers pushed that a tad too far for me. Primary factor now is what flow I want over "clean" appearance.... within reason.

Back