Equipment you DO NOT NEED to have a successful saltwater reef aquarium?

Do you have equipment that you absolutely DO NOT NEED running on your system?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 205 38.2%
  • NO

Votes: 324 60.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The first thing non-aquarists say when they see my tank equipment room is "you need all this to have a saltwater aquarium?" Sad.

Today let's flip the script and just get to the basics. Basics of what you ask? Basic equipment of course! We see a lot of discussion about equipment we can add to our aquarium that can help us accomplish this or manage that but all, much of it, is not always needed. Let's talk about it!

1. (NAME ONE) What are some pieces of equipment that YOU DO NOT NEED to run a successful reef tank? (NAME ONE)

2. What equipment do you currently have running on your system that you absolutely DO NOT NEED?

SWEET equipment room image via @arcticfox
DB0D8ECD-561E-4B32-AB0F-3E4058633034.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Uv sterilizer
Carbon reactor
ATO

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No "controller" is needed out side of running a heater with a second thermostat. Honorable mention: supplemental lights are nearly never needed and are usually for the hobbyist and not the corals.

I don't really have anything that I don't need right now. I have in the past. A long time ago I figured out UV, most reactors and especially co2 monitor/controller were a waste of my time.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe that less equipment equals less potential failures, so I put no.

I don't really think auto testing of ALK or anything else is necessary. It takes less than a minute to run an alkalinity test, which is arguably the only tests you really need to be performing, more than once a week. So cheap and so easy and prevents you from chasing numbers. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't NEED an ATO or my carbon reactor.

I could just add water every single day and not go on vacation...ever. Although I "could" reconfigure what my kalk doser puts in for water and match the evap.

The carbon reactor I bought when I played with GFO which is suggested for that, I just kept it plumbed in.

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we ALL have equipment that we don't absolutely need to have a successful system. I have the below, but I would argue the following:

1. You don't absolutely need a protein skimmer
2. You don't absolutely need a refugium
3. You don't need a dosing pump/controller/etc
4. You don't need a calcium reactor
5. You don't need a sump
6. You don't need an ATO
7. You don't need a UV
8. ... etc

While some/all of those make reefing easier, more stable, and even more enjoyable, I had a 10g cube that had no skimmer with softies and it was great!

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Carbon reactor, but I think it makes my life easier. I also have a Pax Bellum reactor hard plumbed into a manifold. I haven't had algae in it in 4 months now. Its pretty useless for my current circumstances

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really try to keep the equipment at a bare minimum. The only thing I think my tank would be okay without is the grow light above the few mangrove seedlings I have. Only there since I got rid of my mangrove bowl. I don't have any dosers or an auto ATO (its gravity fed float valve) I not an equipment person so the less the better lol

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no. All I have is ats and a large spunge. To stop it from going into my return pump. A 500 watt heater and a 300 watt heater. And a 150 phosban reactor for activated carbon. And that would be the only thing I don't need , but I never run with out charcoal!!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back