Equipment?

The

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never touched saltwater before, but have been wanting to set up a tank. I have an empty 60 gal cube that is 24 inches all around. In this post I'm really only looking for an equipment list on what i should buy, and what corals i should get when the tank cycles. I would prefer if the light was within a $300 range budget if possible, but i am willing to go higher if i absolutely have too.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is to purchase good basic equipment before you buy any bells and whistles. IMO The fundamentals are

1. Lighting
  2. Water Movement
  3. Temperature Control
  4. Filtration
For lighting on a 60 cube, I would look for a 90w pendant light. There are many brands at different price points but this size is the size I would look at. Given your budget, I would look at a Zet Light UFO. These are in the right price range and they include the mount and have built-in WiFi control. They also have better support than the no-name Chinese lights that are available.
https://www.marineandreef.com/Zetlight_UFO_Z8_90W_LED_Reef_Aquarium_Light_p/rmg36125-90w.htm

For water movement, I would recommend 2 pumps. The water flow patterns from 2 pumps is always better than from 1. If I were on a budget I would just get a couple of hydor Koralias but if I had the money I would go Tunze. Tunze pumps are controllable and have a reputation for lasting far longer than anything else.

For temperature control, you just need a simple heater. I like the Aqua EL because they are the only heater brand I know of with no moving parts so they will likely last alot longer than other heaters.

For filtration, I would start with a good protein skimmer. With a good protein skimmer and regular water changes you can keep a great tank. I like the Tunze internal skimmers because they are less likely to flood your floor than the hang-on options and it sounds like you don't have a drilled tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back