Erectus Isn’t Moving or Eating

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Two days ago I bought an erectus seahorse from an LFS and put it in my 30g seahorse tank. Temp is 74 degrees, and I’m lowering it to room temperature to slow reproduction rate of bacteria. Nitrate is under 5. No ammonia or nitrite. Tank has been set up for almost a year.

It’s been eating frozen Mysis eagerly.

This afternoon I found its tail stuck in the intake tube of a powerhead. It wasn’t being chopped up, it was just stuck. I gently and slowly pulled it out, and the fish swam quickly all around the tank. It’s now hitched to some macro. It’s motionless, but still breathing. It won’t eat or move at all. Will it be OK in a few days, or is there something I should do?

Last edited:

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a photo of his tail? Does there appear to be any wounds or abrasions?

If he isnt injured he is most likely stressed from the event. I would keep an eye on him and his tail for the next several days and source some Furan 2 and Sulfaplex just in case you need to treat.

Good thinking dropping the temp if you can. Even as low as 68° will help slow bacterial reproduction. Keep us updated!

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll get some Furan 2 and Sulfaplex on Amazon. Here are pictures:
IMG_20200122_184735532.jpg
IMG_20200122_184641354.jpg
IMG_20200122_184751805.jpg

No wounds that I can see. There is a white patch on the tail, but I think it's just a natural marking like the ones on the body.

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it's something that will get better or get worse in the next several days? From what I've read, it seems like whenever this kind of thing happens, the seahorse dies...

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell. If there is an injury to the tail he could develop a bacterial infection which in most cases is swift to worsen.

We try to minimize injuries in seahorse tanks by utilizing covers. Covers on heaters to prevent burns, covers over powerheads/pumps to prevent tail injuries like your little guy suffered. Due to the unique hitching and grabbing nature of seahorses more thought and protection is required in their tanks.

I would cover the intake with craft mesh and zip ties to prevent future injury and keep a close eye on his tail over the next several days. Try to minimize stress and observe him but perhaps get some meds together in case you need to start treatment. Hopefully he'll recover quickly for you.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 day before the Furan 2 comes, he's dead...:(:(:( I will do something about the powerhead.
Hey purple 12, I just ran across this thread and I can’t say how sorry I am to hear about ur loss. I am no professional but it’s my own exp with the Erectus that I can confidently say 74 is way to warm for that particularly breed of horse. They r from northern Atlantic Ocean waters which does not maintain 74 degree temp, most of my Erectus ponies were found during the more colder months of the year. I keep my tanks at room temperature 65 to 69 and NEVER higher than 71( and that’s during summer) Where are u located at I can hook u up with as many Erectus seahorses you want. And I would never charge anything for them, I feel IMOO seahorses are not for profit but enjoyment they put a smile on your face all the time no matter what kind of mood ur in,, plus if people are good at husbandry and have a true Love of seahorses I have no problem hooking them up with a couple of ponies. They are wild caught, but I feel in my own experience for past 2yrs that most of the things said about WC seahorses is not really all that true( again just my own observation over the last 2yrs)
Again so sorry for ur loss. If interested in getting another Erectus reach out to me I’d be more than happy to help you out
Paulie

7C535A61-916B-491C-8B9B-0CE78FE69FE9.jpeg 3ABBF9F0-2FA1-4FE6-8C55-CAF9150C0A85.jpeg

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey purple 12, I just ran across this thread and I can’t say how sorry I am to hear about ur loss. I am no professional but it’s my own exp with the Erectus that I can confidently say 74 is way to warm for that particularly breed of horse. They r from northern Atlantic Ocean waters which does not maintain 74 degree temp, most of my Erectus ponies were found during the more colder months of the year. I keep my tanks at room temperature 65 to 69 and NEVER higher than 71( and that’s during summer) Where are u located at I can hook u up with as many Erectus seahorses you want. And I would never charge anything for them, I feel IMOO seahorses are not for profit but enjoyment they put a smile on your face all the time no matter what kind of mood ur in,, plus if people are good at husbandry and have a true Love of seahorses I have no problem hooking them up with a couple of ponies. They are wild caught, but I feel in my own experience for past 2yrs that most of the things said about WC seahorses is not really all that true( again just my own observation over the last 2yrs)
Again so sorry for ur loss. If interested in getting another Erectus reach out to me I’d be more than happy to help you out
Paulie

7C535A61-916B-491C-8B9B-0CE78FE69FE9.jpeg 3ABBF9F0-2FA1-4FE6-8C55-CAF9150C0A85.jpeg
Wow, that's a generous offer! I live down in Virginia, though

I think I read that there's a kind of erectus that lives in colder waters and a kind in warmer waters, almost like two different species. I took out the heater just in case, though.

Last edited:

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a generous offer! I live down in Virginia, though

I think I read that there's a kind of erectus that lives in colder waters and a kind in warmer waters, almost like two different species. I took out the heater just in case, though.
May I ask how much u paid for the Erectus, I’m just wondering because I get so many free

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 dollars at a fish store, but they're usually more expensive online
Really wow did not know that, maybe I should go into business selling them lol,, just joking I would never charge a person to put a smile on their face. As long as they respect n love them as much as I do. And r committed to taking care of them. If u pay postage I’d be happy to send u a couple, but to be honest I’d rather drive them there so I know they r taken care of,, u know the fed ex guy just throws packages in his truck not really caring about what’s inside. Let me know if you want any and we can plan something,, maybe I’ll just take family for a sightseeing trip

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the reason for keeping seahorses at the temperatures we recommend (68°-74°F) ISN'T because of where the seahorses are coming from, it's because of the growth rate in our captive aquariums of nasty bacteria (like but not limited to the vibrio species).
These bacteria multiply exponentially with each rising degree temperature, but especially once the temperature gets above 74°F.
However, if water quality isn't kept up, the bacteria can multiply to plague proportions even at lower temperatures, feeding on dissolved organics and detritus that may be hidden around rockwork and decor.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back